Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Crank / Woodruff Keys - Replace or Leave?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2024, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank / Woodruff Keys - Replace or Leave?

Hello Members - I'm replacing a timing chain and sprocket on a '76 SBC, and about to remove the crank sprocket and have come across an issue that isn't mentioned in my rebuild guide. My query is about the crankshaft keys (or woodruff keys). I'm not sure if you are supposed to remove / replace them each time you replace the crank sprocket, or can they stay in-situ, etc? What its best practice? They aren't expensive and I have found online how to install them, but I can't seem to find when they need removal or installation. I've had to stop progress in fear I'll damage something. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old April 14th, 2024, 5:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

If the key is in good condition - no chips, rounded corners, or other obvious wear - there’s no reason to replace it.

If you’re not sure, fit the new crank sprocket on the key and see how much it will move/rotate. It should be a snug fit - if not, replace the key.
Old April 15th, 2024, 2:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much Gumby - I was hoping that was the case, I really appreciate your quick response to my post. Cheers
Old April 15th, 2024, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

You’re welcome.
Old April 19th, 2024, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

So, I'm swapping out the timing chain and sprocket on my '76 SBC, and I hit a snag with the crank sprocket removal. I'm wondering if I need to mess with those crankshaft keys or if they can just chill where they are. They seem fine, but I'm not sure if they need replacing every time.
Old April 19th, 2024, 8:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by interfusetech
So, I'm swapping out the timing chain and sprocket on my '76 SBC, and I hit a snag with the crank sprocket removal. I'm wondering if I need to mess with those crankshaft keys or if they can just chill where they are. They seem fine, but I'm not sure if they need replacing every time.
It’s not uncommon for the gear to get “glued” in place due to varnish and other deposits. Spray some penetrating oil on both sides of the gear. Use a brass drift punch and hammer to tap firmly on the gear to break it free and it should slide off the crank.

As for replacing the key…

Originally Posted by Gumby22
If the key is in good condition - no chips, rounded corners, or other obvious wear - there’s no reason to replace it.

If you’re not sure, fit the new crank sprocket on the key and see how much it will move/rotate. It should be a snug fit - if not, replace the key.
Old April 24th, 2024, 3:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JohnBoy100
Hello Members - I'm replacing a timing chain and sprocket on a '76 SBC, and about to remove the crank sprocket and have come across an issue that isn't mentioned in my rebuild guide. My query is about the crankshaft keys (or woodruff keys). I'm not sure if you are supposed to remove / replace them each time you replace the crank sprocket, or can they stay in-situ, etc? What its best practice? They aren't expensive and I have found online how to install them, but I can't seem to find when they need removal or installation. I've had to stop progress in fear I'll damage something. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Any update?
Old April 30th, 2024, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JohnBoy100
Spoiler

Are you still here?
Old April 30th, 2024, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TaylorJenkins
Are you still here?
Post #3 indicates the OP is probably going to leave the key in…