Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe IPOD compatability

Old January 3rd, 2012, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe IPOD compatability

Hello,
I just bought a 2011 Tahoe with USB interface.
I have an OLD ipod that is not compatible with the radio via usb port.
Can anyone tell me what generation ipods they are using successfully?
I'd rather not buy a brand new ipod nano...since it's only going to stay in the tahoe...I'm hoping the last version of nano will work.
Any info will be appreciated!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 6:49 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Can't you use the Aux port on the radio?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 9:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rth365,

The USB supports the following devices:
- USB Flash Drives
- Portable USB Hard Drives
- Fifth generation or later iPod
- iPod nanos
- iPod touch
- iPod classic

Not all iPods and USB Drives are compatible with the USB port.

Make sure the iPod has the latest firmware from Apple for proper operation. iPod firmware can be updated using the latest iTunes application. See www.apple.com/itunes.

For help with identifying your iPod, go to www.apple.com/support. Radios that have a USB port can play.mp3 and .wma files that are stored on a USB storage device as well as AAC files that are stored on an iPod.

And, as 73shark suggested, if you have an older iPod model that is not supported, it can still be used by connecting it to the Auxiliary Input Jack using a standard 3.5 mm (1/8 in) stereo cable.

I hope this information is helpful! If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 4th, 2012, 7:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default USB Flash Drives

USB Flash Drive would be your best bet. you can get a 8 or 16 gig for like $20.00

Just throw all the mp3s on that.
Old January 4th, 2012, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
It will work with the aux port, but I wanted full steering wheel control of the ipod.

Will all versions of Nano's work or just the new version?

Lastly, I thought about the usb drive option, but will I be able to play my protected music...i.e. itunes downloads?

Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default itunes

rip that

iTunes Music to MP3 Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

there are many, many utilities to do this, I haven't used them since I don't use itunes, but look around...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; January 4th, 2012 at 8:21 AM.