Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Stereo Replacement (cavalier)

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2007, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Stereo Replacement (cavalier)

I recently got a 2002 Cavalier and of course i want toreplace the stereo with an aftermarket. As I look into what I'm going to need, I've only found2 wiring harnesses, One is part of a kit that comes with a warning chime mod, said to be for GM 2000-2005.It's $40. The second is online at Installer.com and dosen't have the chime mod.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has replaced a factory radio and not used this chime piece, or if there's any ideas or solutions that are more economical.
Thanks
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2002 Stereo Replacement (cavalier)

I have done several aftermarketstereo installs on my own vehicles and friends vehicles. If I were you, I wouldn't buy a wiring harness off the internet. What I do, is I go to either best buy or circuit city and buy a harness from them. Don't buy one off the shelf inside the store, but actually go into the garage where they do the installs and get it there. The harness's and the dash kits they have in the garage are different and more specialized then the ones inside the store. But you can do whatever you want. Thats my two cents.
Old November 1st, 2007, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks,
anybody replaced one of these stereos without the chime thing?
Old December 29th, 2007, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

hey guys. I had a question along the same lines(2002 cav) so rather than create a new post i figured i'd asked here. It is possible to get to the antenna plug on the back of the stock HU without removing anything. I got my girlfriend a sirius radio for xmas and the FM tuner is not doing a very good job. I was looking at installing the direct FM modulator but i'm not about to take the entire dash apart just to hook the darn thing up. thanks, J
Old January 2nd, 2008, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hello everyone,newbie here as of 2 minutes ago. Purchased a 2003 Cav coupe a week ago as a commuter--plain-jane model.
This past weekend I replaced the stereo with an aftermarket Pioneer unit.

On the 2003 you will have to REMOVE the top dash cover, than the plastic dash front. Has to be done-no way around it.
Best thing to do is buy a Haynes repair manual. VERY good info AND photos of removing dash top and front.
Don't buy from e-bay. You do need the "CHIME", its really an interface harness that will connect any aftermarket stereo to the Cav--its just plug-n-play, no wire cutting or splicing. I bought mine at Crutchfield (80 dollars but 40 dollars if you buy a stereo with it) Made by Metra. I think Circuit City and Best Buy also carry it. It is for all 2000 and up Chevys. Just make sure you tell sales person you want the Chevy INTERFACE Harness.
Wal-Mart also carries one by Scosche, about 40 dollars. In there auto electronis section, I think the part # is GM-2000. Dose the same thing as the Metra unit for less if you just need the harness.
I think the 2002 are the same as far as removing the dash top and front.
DON'T FORGET to REMOVE the AIRBAG FUSE before removing the dash top-makes a helleva mess if it goes off while your taking the dash apart.
I'll be lurking around.
Grumpy
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 cavalier and everyone told me for 7 months its impossible to instal an after market stereo without it costing $200, They were wrong, finally after being soo mad about it i tryed everything hardwiring it. anything i could eveer think of. finally i seen a ad that said go to best buy .. wel i went there and they didnt know anytihng... the guy gave me the wrong wiring harnesss, and it would fit... i was pritty pissed, then i decided to go to canadian tire, just cuz ... and well i foung the piece!!! only $10 and i installed it my self, easy as pie, just goes to show you have to do things your self to get it done. cuz you cant trust anyone, and the air bag is not attached to the stereo it was a myth, the only thing you lose is your chimes, which there annoying anyways!!!!
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Oh yeah. FYI. I went with the scosche interface. Simple install, even with removing the whole dash. Chimes still work but they'requieterthan the factory setup.
Thanks
Old October 15th, 2013, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default after market radio

i have change my radio in my 2002 cavalier an d now when i turn it on my gauge stop working