Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Rear End Honk?

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2007, 1:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rear End Honk?

My wife's 07 LTZ Tahoe is making a weird noise when going around corners. It sounds like it's coming from the rear axle, and it sounds like a muffled "honk". It's quite weird. Several times people in parking lots have told her that her horn honks when she turns, but it's not as loud as the horn, and it's coming from the rear. She does have the G80 option, but it's nothing like the clunk froma locker kicking in. [/align][/align]I know there is a similar TSB for Trailblazers and the fix is a whole new rear axle. Is there anything out there for the Tahoe's? Were taking it in for a new mirror soon, and I'd like them to look at this. I am just thinking they will blame the McGaughy's 2/3 drop as an easy out. Any info you guys have would be a huge help.[/align]
Old November 15th, 2007, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 07 Rear End Honk?

I had the same problem with my Denali. I took it to a driveline shop by my house and they said it was from driveshaft movement. The only remedy that they had was packing high nickel content grease in the yoke and reinstalling the driveshaft. Sounds crazy but it did work. Something about the metal makeup of the yoke that didn't allow it to slide freely.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: freyguy
I am just thinking they will blame the McGaughy's 2/3 drop as an easy out.
Did it do this before this modification????
Old November 16th, 2007, 9:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Hmm, high nickel grease. I may have to give that a shot if the dealer puts it on me. Thanks![/align][/align]We didn't notice it beforehand, but I lowered it shortly after I got it, so we hardly had it broken in. I think I lowered it with around 6k on it.[/align]
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe LTZ

My 2007 Tahoe LTZ is making the same low honking noise and I have not lowered or lifted it. My husband can't hear it but it is driving me nuts.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
you probably only hear it when coming to a stop, may also sometimes feel like someone may have bumped into you...

The drive shaft splines most likely need to be lubed, you local dealer can perform this task, the reason I suggest the dealer as I have also heard that there may be a design change to address this issue.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator

You may also find information listed under "slip yoke" if you search the forum....
Old January 18th, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to the dealer, they replaced our slip yoke for free under the PT warranty. ours did not really honk but it did clunk a lot when coming to a stop or going over bumps. another fix is packing with the special grease but that is only temporary and the dealer should replace with a new version w/o hassle.
smooth as new now.
Old January 18th, 2011, 9:11 PM
Administrator

Default Slip Yoke

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2149741
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#99-04-20-002E: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Between PARK and DRIVE, PARK and REVERSE or DRIVE and REVERSE - (Jun 6, 2008)

Subject: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Between PARK and DRIVE, PARK and REVERSE or DRIVE and REVERSE

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)

2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002D (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).

Important: The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with the following previous bulletins:

• Info - Discontinue Flushing and Replacing Transfer Case Fluid Due to Bump/Clunk Concern (Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004A or newer).

Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) (Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004B or newer).

Some owners of vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:

• Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.

Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.

• While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.

• For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service Information.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by in2pro; January 18th, 2011 at 9:13 PM. Reason: edited header title