Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Auto Foglights??

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Foglights??

Is there any way to get my foglights to come on with the auto headlights? My Camaro's foglights come on with the headlights and I want the Tahoe to do the same.
Thanks.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Auto Foglights??

I've too been wondering the same. But i have a feeling that they won't unless you change some of the wiring.... I'm not sure but that would be my guess because i haven't figured out any other way.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 1:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys have fog everyday where you live or something?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

You forgot how cool it looks.

Remember how you hurt yourself checking them out at speed?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

I guess it's foggy wherever a Camaro is in the country [8D]
Seriously I would like for them to come on with the headlights....Anyone know how?

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

You guys have fog everyday where you live or something?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 9:00 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I know how.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
CF Active Member

At the risk of really letting people know I don't read manuals... How do you even turn on your fog lamps say on either my 2000 or 2007 Tahoe?

I just found my 2000 Tahoe was missing it's driver side fog light for some reason or other. Just the light bulb was hanging there. Dealer wanted $96 so I Ebayed that for $19. Now I'd like to test it... []
Old January 3rd, 2008, 1:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ZX has bashed me in the past for this, but if you cut the power wire on the fog lights and splice them into either the DRL, or low beams, they will come on when they come on...I have done this on all my vehicles and no bad results so far.....have doe it to my SS as well, so they come on with my DRLs, some people wire them to the high beams so they stay on with those.....either way it takes cutting and splicing, if your not comfortable dont do it.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Yep, I know how.
[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Thanks for the help. That's a great way to treat newcomers to the site. A simple non reponce to the question would have been sufficient.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

ZX has bashed me in the past for this, but if you cut the power wire on the fog lights and splice them into either the DRL, or low beams, they will come on when they come on...I have done this on all my vehicles and no bad results so far.....have doe it to my SS as well, so they come on with my DRLs, some people wire them to the high beams so they stay on with those.....either way it takes cutting and splicing, if your not comfortable dont do it.
That's a bit dangerous -- you could overload the circuit and before the fuse/breaker has the opportunity to blow/trip, the wires could potentially overheat, melt the insulation, and set a small fire in the engine compartment. Been there, done that.

The proper way to 'hack' the electrical system for this is to use a simple $8 relay and an a few inline fuses. This process will save you the potential for a vehicle fire and the potential for your insurance company to deny the claim based on improper customization.

All you need to do is connect the actuating leg of the relay to the headlight/drl/highbeam wire (with a fuse in the middle), connect the supply leg of the relay to the battery (or + stud in the fuse block under the hood) with a fuse in the middle, and lastly connect the foglights to the output leg of the relay (with a fuse between each leg of the lights and the relay). The relay should have it's own ground but if not, just ground it to a good solid grounding point.

Quick Reply: Auto Foglights??