Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Pressure Monitor

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor

I boughta 2004 Suburban about a year ago and I enjoy driving it, BUT....for the 'Service Tire Monitor'message which continues to come on. Theservice dept. told me it will cost $80.00 (+/-) per tire to fix the problem.
Surely there's a better and cheaper way to solve this problem.
Can I justfind a way to disconnect the wiring?
Can anyone offer any solutions?
Thanks...
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitor

Surely all the valvestem sensors didn't go bad?
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

the tech guy at the dealership said some thingy in the tiresmight have to be replaced to fix the situation.
It may be only on one wheel.
well, I'm just a girl, so I don't know cars.
But, I don't want to be cheated due to my lack of auto mechanic know-how.
But, no, I don't think it's valvestems.
Could it be the new tires I put on a few months ago? I upgraded to 10 ply treads.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

I emailed this to myself! I'm not computer -savvy either:

the tech guy at the dealership said some thingy in the tiresmight have to be replaced to fix the situation.
It may be only on one wheel.
well, I'm just a girl, so I don't know cars.
But, I don't want to be cheated due to my lack of auto mechanic know-how.
But, no, I don't think it's valvestems.
Could it be the new tires I put on a few months ago? I upgraded to 10 ply treads.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

I purchased 4 snow tires for my 2007 Trailblazer and returned to the garage 3 times for the to put the TPMS sensors in learning status. The warning light would blink for 1 minute, then remain solid and the "service tire monitor" message would display. The mechanic informed me that I had to drive 40 kms (20 miles)/Hrs for 5 minutes for them to activate. Where the garage is located, it is impossible to do so. Last night I did some research and was able to reset the sensors myself. For the Trailblazer and Tahoe, if you do not have the option with the controls on the steering wheel to activate the learning, follow the steps listed below. It is best done with 2 people to ensure you have enough time to do all 4 tires. Make sure your tires are inflated to the maximum suggested pressure andremove your caps before starting. Also have in hand a tool to deflate the tires (the rounded end a of bobypin works great), one for you and for your helper if you have one.
- With the ignition off, put the handbreak on
- Put the key in the run position, without turning on the vehicule
-Turn the light switch toOFFthenPARK thenOFF then PARK(4 times). You have to do this sequence quick enough, in other words, don't pause then you turn the switch. The off position is all the way to the left (your dial does not stay clicked on it and it is a circle with a / through it). The park position isthe 3rd option starting from the left, counting the off position.
- Your horn should beep 2 times.
- Go to the drivers side front tire and start to deflate the tire. It might take up to 30 secs then the horn will beep once.
- If you have a helper, they should already be located on the passenger side front tire.If no help is available, run to thepassenger side front tire and start to deflate the tire until the horn beeps once
- The third tire is the passenger side back tire. Deflate the tire until the horn beeps once
- Finally, deflate the driver side rear tire until the horn beeps once
Verify if the Service Tire monitor warning is off. If yes, you can turn off the vehicule and reflate the tires to the desired pressure. The reason it is best to do this procedure with a helper is because you often don't have enough time torun to the 4 tires yourself. I have read several people indicating that they were not able to do the procedure in the allowed time. If the sequence to start the learning process does not work, your horn will not beep. There aredifferent sequences to follow to start the process. I don't knowwhich one would be for your truck. The other combination is to:
- With the ignition off, put the handbreak on
- Put the key in the run position, without turning on the vehicule
-Push and hold the odometer reset for approx. 5 secs.
- Your horn should beep 2 times then start the deflating process
If you have your users manual, it should be indicated in there how to reset your sensors to the learning mode.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

OOOPS - Forgot to mention that when you are resetting your sensors, make sure nobody uses a keyless remote lock/unlock for their doors in a another GM vehicule near you or this will impact the learning and it will not work (such as if you are doing the procedure at a garage station).