Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust

Old February 17th, 2008, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust

Hey Guys. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up an 08 z71 with the 5.3 afm. I absolutely love this truck but the exhaust note is much to mild for my taste. Has anyone actually installed a FM 40 (or anything for that matter)with this engine? I have seen where Corsa has an exhaust designed to combat the v4 issue, but I would guess it probably wouldn't have the tone I'm looking for. I want to get this issuetaken care of stat.

Also I have been shopping cai systems and tb spacers. I think this forum has convinced me to give S&B a try for the cai. I am not overly mechanically inclined, although I'm not ignorant. How difficult of an installation are these? Any suggestions on websites to order from?

Thanks for the help!
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust

hey welcome to the forum, umm not to sure on this one. i know someone on here will be able to help you out soon.
Old February 17th, 2008, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!! You may want to do a search on the Exhaust, I believe that there have been a few threads on that topic (exhaust on an engine with active management). The S&B CAI shouldn't take more than a 1/2 hour to install, simple tools, pretty straight forward.
Old February 19th, 2008, 4:15 AM
CF Senior Member

My buddy has a super 40 dumped on a 5.3 with afm, sounds great!
Old February 19th, 2008, 6:25 AM
CF Junior Member

What about when the active fuel management kicks in?
Old February 19th, 2008, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

I seriously can't find anything definitive about this. Even the people who have put on the Corsa exhaust designed for afm arent happy. I am just going to say screw it and try out the super 40's as long as my exhaust guy can do it w/o having to remove the spare tire. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. I guess if it is really bad I'll just try something different in a couple months.

Old February 20th, 2008, 5:33 AM
CF Junior Member

I think you should talk to the dealer as to how it can be left permanantly in performance mode!!!
Old February 20th, 2008, 5:33 AM
CF Junior Member

I think you should talk to the dealer as to how it can be left permanantly in performance mode!!!
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thats not a bad idea, seeing as it doesn't do sh*t for gas mileage anyway. I've seen a couple custom tunes that offer the option of turning it off. Also a guy at a shop here told me he could install a pda set up that would allow me to turn off on demand. I'm not sure how much I want to start screwing with all of the factory presets but a little more research might be warranted
Old February 21st, 2008, 9:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Ive also heard that through a custom programmer that you can turn it off. may want to talk to the guys at www.troyerperformance.com they do customes for gm and ford they might be able to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFM and Aftermarket Exhaust