S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

No. 3 cylinder spark plug removal on 96 chevy blazer

Old March 16th, 2008, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No. 3 cylinder spark plug removal on 96 chevy blazer

For anybody that's having difficulty removing the spark plug from the #3 cylinder of a 4.3L vortec engine because the steering column is blocking it I have the answer to this problem.

The problem is that you can get the 5/8 inch socket on the plug but cant get a socket wrench attached to turn it because the steering column is in the way.

Use a 3/4 inch ratcheting crescent wrench (5" long) and a 5/8" spark plug socket (2 3/8" long) with a hexagonal head.

Push up the rubber steering column boot up and temporarily secure it out of the way with a plastic slip tie around the boot and the steering column. Put the socket on the plug by passing it under the steering coumn.

Put the ratcheting end of the 5 inch open faced cresent wrench on the hexagonal end of the 5/8 inch socket plug. It fits perfectly in the heat shield surrounding the plug and doesn't present any clearance issues with the steering column allowing removal in under 3 minutes.

See the attached photo

[IMG]local://upfiles/13898/514451F4566A4620A897E74C7E697AAF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13898/E8CA050E8C7043C9B2881F034B39B2ED.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 12th, 2014, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Do you have photo's still attached?
Old August 29th, 2019, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stirgen
For anybody that's having difficulty removing the spark plug from the #3 cylinder of a 4.3L vortec engine because the steering column is blocking it I have the answer to this problem.

The problem is that you can get the 5/8 inch socket on the plug but cant get a socket wrench attached to turn it because the steering column is in the way.

Use a 3/4 inch ratcheting crescent wrench (5" long) and a 5/8" spark plug socket (2 3/8" long) with a hexagonal head.

Push up the rubber steering column boot up and temporarily secure it out of the way with a plastic slip tie around the boot and the steering column. Put the socket on the plug by passing it under the steering coumn.

Put the ratcheting end of the 5 inch open faced cresent wrench on the hexagonal end of the 5/8 inch socket plug. It fits perfectly in the heat shield surrounding the plug and doesn't present any clearance issues with the steering column allowing removal in under 3 minutes.
Thanks! This is a life saver
Old October 12th, 2019, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

I just took the wheel off so the suspension dropped and moved the steering column boot out of the way and turned the wheel so the flat side of the column was turned up.
Old March 28th, 2022, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wheels off saves time and bruises.

Originally Posted by James Baldwin
I just took the wheel off so the suspension dropped and moved the steering column boot out of the way and turned the wheel so the flat side of the column was turned up.
My approach was to get the front end on jack stands, then remove the wheels and fender shields. All plugs are right in front of you after that and there's plenty of room to spin them with one or two long extensions except for #8. I got #8 by slipping the plug socket on and then getting a 3/4" socket on the back of the plug socket. I use a breaker bar for the initial turn so the plugs come loose smoothly and spare myself cuts and bruises.
The biggest inconvenience to going in this way is separating the body rivets and a couple of wiring retainers fastened to the shields. It's easy to get a torque wrench on everything though.