Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Why did GM go back to Drum brakes on the Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ride of the Month
June 2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why did GM go back to Drum brakes on the Silverado?

i just drove though the chevy lot near me and its a big lot and i did not see one 1500 2500 or 3500 with drums at all
work truck models or nothing
so i dont know about the new ones having drums
but they could some place
Old March 27th, 2008, 8:35 AM
CF Active Member

Accoding to Chevy's website the 08 NBS chevy 1500 (not the hd trucks) has front discs and rear drum brakes unless it has the Max trailering package that comes with all wheel disc brakes.

the 08 2500hd's have all wheel disc brakes.

i know that in the 1500's for the 05-07 classic body styles all options, they had front discs rear drums unless you got the vortec max package, then you got 4 wheel disc brakes.

hope this helps.
Old March 31st, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

My 07 NBS 1500 has rear drums, guy at the dealership said they were having problems with the disc brakes warping. Who knows, my old one had 4 wheel discs, and I never had a problem.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
LTD10

High new to the forums here and would like to say hello.

I own a 07 Silverado Vortex Max with the Max Trailering package. With the trailer package it does come with rear disc brakes and am very happy with them.

The problem I am dealing with is the service bultin about the lifters in the 6.0 engine. As I write this post my truck is in the shop haveing all its lifters replaced.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!!
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason that GM went back to drums in the 1500 series Silverado's is that many consumers complained that the disk/disk system was a bit too touchy in certain conditions, most 1/2 ton trucks spend much of time operated unloaded or very lightly loaded, the disk brakes had a tendency to easily lock-up during panic stopping and the ABS and DRP systems were often at odds to compensate this.

To achieve a better balanced braking system engineers went large rear drums in the rear, in tests a lightly loaded Silverado 1500 will stop in a shorter distance then the previous rear disk brake models.

The Vortec Max wit the NHT Max Tow Package has rear disks to enable a higher maximum tow rating (10,500lbs) it was determined that buyers wanting this option were more likely to operate in heavier loaded conditions.
Old May 18th, 2011, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ax7221
My 07 NBS 1500 has rear drums, guy at the dealership said they were having problems with the disc brakes warping. Who knows, my old one had 4 wheel discs, and I never had a problem.
This is my first post here. I hate to sound rude right off the bat, but the guy at the dealership flat lied to you. If GM can make a front rotor that will not warp, they can make a rear one as well. If what he told you was true, they would have had to go back to 4 wheel drum. I think the truth is they wanted to save money. I have never really figured out how it is cheper to build drum brakes than disc, but the engineers say it is.
It has also been speculated that they made the change to smooth out the braking of the vehicles. I guess that is possible, but I would think Ford's fix for that problem was a much better fix. Ford went to a rear pad that had app. 40% of the area of the front pads. Ford's "fix" makes more sense to me than GM's "fix." That is why I lean toward believing it was for cost savings.
Having said that, I have no problem with rear drum brakes. They work just fine. With the new transmissions in the trucks, you should be doing most of you extended brakeing with the engine when pulling heavy loads. Extended, not short, braking is what builds up heat in drums. If you drive properly, that will not be an issue.

Last edited by Reynolds357; May 18th, 2011 at 3:01 PM.