Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off

Old August 16th, 2008, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off

I have been having issues with my 2007 Avalance Stabilitrak Traction Control turning off intermitingly. I have had my truck to the dealer 3 times on this issue and i am still with the same problem. This started over a year ago and when bringing it in for service there were no codes found for this problem. Today after picking up my truck once again and paying the dealer to replace the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver being one of the codes showing this did not solve the problem and the part removed was still good. It seems to me that the service dept at the Chevy Dealer has no clue on how to solve this problem. Everytime i start my truck even sitting at idle the bell starts chiming and the triangle signand the warning reads service stabilitrak then service traction control (off)
activates within a few miniuts. This keeps going on and off as i am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard. Looking trough this forum i can see that this had been a major problem in the past with 2003 and up and there are many people talking aboutthis issue with their trucksbut i have not come across anyone who can give the answer on how to resolve this problem. Dose anyone else have this problem or have heard of this being a problem with an answer.
The following users liked this post:
Mateen El (April 22nd, 2020)
Old September 10th, 2008, 7:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off

unwanted stability activation and/or a service stability message. The EBCM may have set DTC C0710. This concern may occur if the vehicle's suspension system has been modified (Lift or Lowering Kits), wheelbase length modified (limo, etc...) and/or other than stock size wheels and tires installed.

Have youmodified any of above things?

Do you get message while turning steering wheel,even if you turn few degrees?
The following users liked this post:
Mateen El (April 22nd, 2020)
Old August 30th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same problem...

Originally Posted by Biloxi58
I have been having issues with my 2007 Avalance Stabilitrak Traction Control turning off intermitingly. I have had my truck to the dealer 3 times on this issue and i am still with the same problem. This started over a year ago and when bringing it in for service there were no codes found for this problem. Today after picking up my truck once again and paying the dealer to replace the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver being one of the codes showing this did not solve the problem and the part removed was still good. It seems to me that the service dept at the Chevy Dealer has no clue on how to solve this problem. Everytime i start my truck even sitting at idle the bell starts chiming and the triangle signand the warning reads service stabilitrak then service traction control (off)
activates within a few miniuts. This keeps going on and off as i am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard. Looking trough this forum i can see that this had been a major problem in the past with 2003 and up and there are many people talking aboutthis issue with their trucksbut i have not come across anyone who can give the answer on how to resolve this problem. Dose anyone else have this problem or have heard of this being a problem with an answer.
Biloxi58,

I'm having the same problem with my '07 Suburban- we're you able to resolve this issue and if so, how?

Thanks a lot,

-chris (gilstone)
Old August 30th, 2011, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Cool I have 07 LTZ Avalanche similar problem, but not as bad

Originally Posted by Biloxi58
I have been having issues with my 2007 Avalance Stabilitrak Traction Control turning off intermitingly. Everytime i start my truck even sitting at idle the bell starts chiming and the triangle signand the warning reads service stabilitrak then service traction control (off)
activates within a few miniuts. This keeps going on and off as i am driving and when its in the off position the trans shifts gears very hard.
One of the strangest things in our 07 avalanches is the RCV (regulated voltage control). Here's some details on it from another forum:

Re: 2007 Avalanche LT Charging Problem

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtNodeId="79"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->What you are describing sounds like normal operation of the charging system. Your vehicle is equipped with regulated voltage control. This system turns off the alternator when not needed. I don't know why you are just now noticing it but, this is the way it works.

Utilities and light duty full size pickups are equipped with a new regulated voltage control (RVC) system. This system turns off the alternator when it is not required in order to improve fuel economy. The generator will turn back on when additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems which usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation and NO repairs should be attempted.

My good buddy is an Automotive/UPS/Marine battery expert... that's what he's been doing for years! I explained to him what was in our trucks and he laughed... he said we'll go through automotive batteries fast. He said the only batteries that like discharge cycling are the deep cycles. I changed the battery on my Avalanche at 112,000km, and I believe my nuisance alarms are less now, but they are still there when the RCV is off (voltage meter reads only 12V) and I brake hard.

You should check what your voltage gauge reads when the alarm goes off. If it's 12V, then maybe start with a new battery and see if it improves. I still am going to post on my alarms separately.
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service traction control alarm and check engine alarm

I also have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT and have also had an ongoing problem with the traction control alarm. My truck would set off these alarms while I would be sitting at a red light for longer than normal, in idle, or even when I would remote start the truck. I always notice that its with the AC running. not sure if it makes a difference or not, but kind of odd. My truck would also set off the service engine light at the same time as well. It would then shift very hard into 2nd gear. I took it to the dealer several times and they changed different harnesses, checked for bulletins and nothing would fix the problem. Finally they said that the check engine alarm was caused by a misfire on cylinder #2. They said they needed to do a valve job on it to resolve the issue. Luckily the 100k power train warranty covered all of the parts and labor. The service engine and service traction control issue was resolved. Unfortunately, 24k miles later, and an expired warranty, the problem has once again started. I again took it to the dealer and again the problem is a misfire on cylinder #2. They are once again suggesting a valve job. They said the valve had okay on it and is not seating correctly. Don't want to really spend so much, but the problem is also very annoying.
Old December 7th, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stabilitrak Disabled message

This is not something that GM has an answer for, simply because there has been no loss of human life.

It is not as complex as they seem to think it is yet they will not address it.

What I have found on my '07 Avalanche LTZ, Yes it does get the same messages, and having search the web and found similiar problems I typically will shutdown the engine to reset the message. (usually works)

More recently, having been doing work that requires a OBDII scanner plugged into the ECU service port (no error codes) I can shutdown the engine and with a fair amount of reliablility I can restart the engine with the OBDII plugged in and get the "Stabilitrak" message.

Having a background in Electronic board manufacturing I have come to conclude that the ECU was not designed with enough electrical noise suppression to prevent the signal inputs to the ECU from picking up outside electrical noise. It doesn't know what to do with this so it's programming says to "slow down the engine".

They need to redesign the ECU to limit electrical interference on the signal input lines of the ECU.

Other than that I do not believe there is a valid fix for this problem.

AND... the dealers have no idea what to look for.
Old December 15th, 2012, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

I too own a 2007 LT Avalanche and also am having these issues. It first was an issue this past summer when the lights for both just came on during a highway drive. I took it to get scanned and the told me it was a mass air flow sensor. So I replaced that with a new one and it seemed to do the trick. BUT, next I started to have other issues. Vehicle became hard to start and check engine light has come on. Scanned again, and they said I would need a EVAP canister. I changed that and still the hard start has gotten worse ( NOW AUTO START WILL NOT WORK ). After ANOTHER scan, Im told I need a new fuel pump. I change out the fuel pump and I seems to fix the problem but now light comes back on. SCANNED AGAIN, bad O2 sensors in one of the banks. OK, I'll FIX THAT, I change all 4 O2 sensors. All lights are off and driving fine. Make a stop and say, lets check out the auto start. Starts right up........Then shuts down after only a minute. Will not auto start and check engine light back on. Go to get SCANNED ONE MORE TIME......Now they are saying that "Too Rich In Bank 2" WTH!!!!! I need some serious help here!!!!! OH YEAH, Did I mention that my Rollover Sensor light came on about 30,000 miles ago for no reason and will not turn off!?!?!?!?! They want 800.00 to fix that, but of course there are two and the first repair is not GUARANTEE to fix the problem, cause there are two of them also......REALLY!?!?!?!?! Can't trade in a vehicle with a safety concern and get any money for it. SOMEONE.....H E L P!!!!! I would say I am pulling my hair out over this....BUT I'M BALD!!!!!!
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default GM not addressing the Stabilitrak ECU issues

Originally Posted by fireax1
I too own a 2007 LT Avalanche and also am having these issues. It first was an issue this past summer when the lights for both just came on during a highway drive. I took it to get scanned and the told me it was a mass air flow sensor. So I replaced that with a new one and it seemed to do the trick. BUT, next I started to have other issues. Vehicle became hard to start and check engine light has come on. Scanned again, and they said I would need a EVAP canister. I changed that and still the hard start has gotten worse ( NOW AUTO START WILL NOT WORK ). After ANOTHER scan, Im told I need a new fuel pump. I change out the fuel pump and I seems to fix the problem but now light comes back on. SCANNED AGAIN, bad O2 sensors in one of the banks. OK, I'll FIX THAT, I change all 4 O2 sensors. All lights are off and driving fine. Make a stop and say, lets check out the auto start. Starts right up........Then shuts down after only a minute. Will not auto start and check engine light back on. Go to get SCANNED ONE MORE TIME......Now they are saying that "Too Rich In Bank 2" WTH!!!!! I need some serious help here!!!!! OH YEAH, Did I mention that my Rollover Sensor light came on about 30,000 miles ago for no reason and will not turn off!?!?!?!?! They want 800.00 to fix that, but of course there are two and the first repair is not GUARANTEE to fix the problem, cause there are two of them also......REALLY!?!?!?!?! Can't trade in a vehicle with a safety concern and get any money for it. SOMEONE.....H E L P!!!!! I would say I am pulling my hair out over this....BUT I'M BALD!!!!!!

AS I mentioned in my previous post, General Motors is not addressing this issue as a Safety concern because there have been no associated reports of bodily injury or death of the human kind. There has been loss of animal life due to the system failure of these vehicles.

Your best bet is to stop dumping money into a problem they will or cannot fix.

Three options;

First request the dealer escallate the issue to corporate for guidance, if they cannot or will not do that
Option 2, Find an attorney that would be willing to take on General Motors
Option 3, Find that attorney and go directly to the Attorney Generals Office reporting their negligence and filing a complaint.

Other than that, it's going to be constant visits to the dealer until you replace the vehicle. If you have them do the repair, immediately turn around and trade it in at that dealer for a different vehicle. The S-10's do not use the same ECU.
If they are not willing to give you a fair trade-in, ask for a reason in writing.

Last edited by kfortner51; December 17th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

I was able to solve the problem(s) myself - thanks to the many good people who have posted similar problems in these forums. I have a '07 Avalanche with 88k miles and a scanning tool (Actron CP9580) that I use to fix all my vehicles when problems occur. For the last year I have been getting the infamous "service stabilitrack/traction control" message off and on. It was shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear. It would make a clunking noise when sitting at a stop sign. However, once I was driving it on the highway everything seemed to operate normal with the exception of the "stabilitrak/traction control warning" flashing every now and then. Also, my cruise control and car starter has not been working either. The codes that came up on my scanner were P0175, P0300, and B0561. I googled these codes and found a reliable source for what they could mean. One of the first things I did was clean the throttle body. Initially, it seemed to work but ended up not solving the issue. So, I purchased a new one ($140) and installed it myself. Well, this didn't do it - back to the drawing board. I did some more digging on the codes and found that it could potentially be several issues relating the MAF, MAP and Ignition. Because my truck ran fine on the highway, I figured it wasn't a fuel pump issue. Anyway, because of the mileage, I ended up replacing all the spark plugs (not sure if that was necessary since they all looked like they were functioning properly - based on the color at the tips) and purchased a can of MAF cleaner (specific for this sensor) and cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors, reinstalled them and my truck has been running perfectly now for about two days (hopefully this solved the problem). Only time will tell. So, for about $20 you can buy a can of MAF cleaner and Throttle Body Cleaner and if you are lucky, that is all that needs to be done. As far as the B0561 code, which relates to the wheel sensors, I'm thinking the out-of-ballance due to improper wear (misalignment) is causing that. I hope this helps anyone having the same problem.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Has anybody found a solution to this issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 HELP PLEASE !! Avalanch Stabilitrak Traction Control on/off