Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock

Old August 19th, 2008, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock

I recently acquired a NAV unit from an 07 Silverado 2500HD LTZ with Bose. I own an 07 Silverado 1500 LT2 with Bose system and 6 disc changer. The P/N for the NAV unit is #25846420 and is NAV only, no DVD play.
I purchased the #15201798 antenna and installed both the head unit and the antenna yesterday evening. Of course it said Theft Lock on the unit when I powered it up. Took it to the dealership this morning and had them attempt to unlock it with the Tech2 but apparently it didn't work. They said they contacted GM tech support and the audio package I had would not support the U3U NAV package that the unit came out of because it was a 2500 and my truck is a 1500, therefore the BCM would not support it and any attempt was made to program this anyway, it would result in frying my BCM.
There was some mention of a BCM Custom Programming software that GM provides. Have you OR ANYONE heard of anything like this or have any other suggestions to my quandry??
Thanks so much!
CHRIS
Old August 19th, 2008, 4:53 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to use the tech2, build the vehicle as an 06 monte carlo. go into the body and accessories menu, entertainment, module setup, radio, then select VIN Relearn. cycle the key and all should be good
Old August 20th, 2008, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Wow, that's a random fix. Does that have any adverse effects on the BCM? Is that going to erase anything else I've had programmed into the truck with the Tech2? They had to program the remote start, but come to think of it, they had to use like a Monte Carlo config to make the Silverado remote start function. Go figure!!
Old August 20th, 2008, 4:21 PM
Banned

No adverse affects whatsoever. There is a problem within the Tech2 software that will not allow you to do a VIN Relearn under theSilvrdao submenu. So rather than fixing it, engineers are using this as a band-aid. It works fine, it does not make the car "think" it is a monte carlo when your done, it just simply uses the vin relearn function within the monte carlo menu, to activate the vin relearn function within the radio
Old August 21st, 2008, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

I talked to my mechanic about this today and he said it's not so much an issue of removing the theft lock from the radio, it's a matter of the BCM specific to my truck not having the RPO code to make allowance for the navigational function that the NAV radio is trying to provide.
The GM support tech said that any time you try to force the RPO code into the BCM without auxillary software, it will burn the BCM to a crisp. That didn't seem like a reasonable tradeoff to me.
Any other thoughts?
Old August 21st, 2008, 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

I didn't have any problem with the RPO codes & my Silverado had a 6 disk CD radio. My Nav unit went right in with a small probkem with VSS & it's out of a Tahoe!
Old August 21st, 2008, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

See, now THAT'S what I like to hear!! I'm going to go out on a limb here and see if you possibly have the model number off the NAV unit. I know that's not the real issue, but I wouldn't mind the additional affirmation.
I suppose the real question is, what did you or the dealership have to do with the Tech2 to disable the TheftLock and allow the vehicle to recognize the new unit? I had also heard rumor that the NAV radio didn't generate the same quality/volume of sound that the 6 disc unit created. Did you notice this, or is that just BS?
Thanks for your response!!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 6:44 PM
Banned

HAHA.....the dealer you are going to do not know their *** form a hole in the ground. You are not programming the bcm in any way shape or form. Tell them to do exactly as I said....beter yet...i'll post the GM Service Information Document that was issued stating that this MUST be performed or you will never get the radio unlocked.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 6:46 PM
Banned

Subject:
Radio Displays Locked Or Theft Lock - keywords inoperative loc no sound speaker colume #PIT4007A - (02/28/2007)

[align=left]

Models:
2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL [/align]

[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
The radio theft deterrent system disables functionality if the VIN information received by the radio does not match the vehicle VIN information. The radio receives the vehicle VIN information through GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information from the vehicle before it will function. If the VIN information of the vehicle does not match the learned VIN information in the radio, it will display "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK".
Recommendation/Instructions:
Currently, performing the radio setup in SI (Document ID # 1745049) will not learn the vehicles VIN information to the new radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction.
A temporary solution is to perform the radio setup in SI (Document ID# 1745049), as well as, perform a VIN relearn. To perform the VIN relearn, build the Tech 2 as follows:
F0: Diagnostics
Passenger Car
(1) Chevrolet
W
WN Monte Carlo LTZ
F6: Body and Accessories
Entertainment
F5: Module Setup
F0: Radio
F0: VIN Relearn
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

HAHA I'll make sure and pass that lil personal message on to them
Thanks for the solid documentation. I'll make sure and pass this along. YOU ROCK!! Can you be my new service tech?? LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock