Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Leak from overhead console???

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak from overhead console???

Hey ya'll, I'm new to this forum and would like to say Hi!
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with clearance lights. When we have a hard rain, water leaks through the overhead console from the part that would be, what I think, the rear air controls. However, it is a blank spot with only a cover on it made of some kind of material (like a plastic mesh). Water comes through there and drips into the drink holders in the console. I seem fairly well convinced that it might be the gasket around the center group of clearance lights, or maybe even coming through one of the screws for the lights. What do you all suggest? Should I remove the entire unit and check the gasket, or just take the screws out and silicone each hole after checking for a fractured/rusted screw? What are your thoughts?

Thanks alot.
goldenbetty
Old July 3rd, 2006, 7:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Leak from overhead console???

I would get new gaskets for all of your lights. I am not sure as mine is a 96 but I bet your roof it 2 peices of metal, and it could be running from anyone of those ligths.
Some silicone wouldn't hurt to add. Did you buy it new? I had a friend with a 97 that had 2 holes in the roof. ( didn't know until I stood on the nerf bar and looked at the roof) If it was a city truck or maybe an emt's truck that could be a possibility.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

ours did the same thing (we just bought it) we replaced the whole set of lights that included the gaskets - aftermarket set by Pacer, retail i'm sure about $90.00 or so (we own a store so got from our whse), it fixed it!!
dawna
Old May 16th, 2007, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

check your clearence lights, also check out the rubber that runs around the windshield

Old May 16th, 2007, 9:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am struck with the thought that as far as leaks go, this one is at least easily stopgapped by putting cups in thedrinkholders. Most drips are nowhere near anything that convenient.