Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2008, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Hi, I've tried searching for this but haven't found anything relevant. I have a '98 Chevy K1500 Silverado pickup with electric locks, but not keyless entry. I want to add remote start w/ keyless entry. I've been quoted $250 - $300 installed by different places around town. But there appears to be some confusion as to whether a "Bypass Module" is required. Some places say their computer databases tell them that my truck has a Passcode system that has to be bypassed. However, that would only be true if my truck required a key with a chip inside, or some other special key. My truck doesn't require special keys or programming. I can, and have, gone tothe local hardware store and have a simple metal key blank cut and use it. I have one I've used for years on a routine bases and have never run into any issues with starting, etc.

Despite this, does any one who has added remote start know if I would need a bypass module anyway? Also, is this something an average person could install, or is it too technical? Any info or help will be appreciated.
Old November 6th, 2008, 7:53 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

if your truck is a 98 it probably has the passlock 1 system not in the key in the cylender its a resistor based system the way to tell is if you have a security light on your clustor that lights for about 3 seconds when you turn on the key its in the top right i think thats around the year it started as far as puttin it in goes its not really plug n play at least for a good one anyway i can get you all the colors and locations from my alarm company if you decide to try on your own if you cant get it any where
Old November 6th, 2008, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: x1cn18

if your truck is a 98 it probably has the passlock 1 system not in the key in the cylender its a resistor based system the way to tell is if you have a security light on your clustor that lights for about 3 seconds when you turn on the key its in the top right i think thats around the year it started as far as puttin it in goes its not really plug n play at least for a good one anyway i can get you all the colors and locations from my alarm company if you decide to try on your own if you cant get it any where
So with the passlock, I could still use a standard key, but still need bypass module for the remote start, then? As far as install, I can get one here for $250-300 installed, + 60 for the bypass,but I also see I can order one from JC Whitney for $179 + 30 for the bypass, and install it myself. The one in JCW looks the same as the one the person showed me today at the install place. Do you know anything about Valiant systems? I don't guess I'm asking for an endorsement, just if someone knows to stay away from a certain one, I'd like to know that.

Thanks for the help.
Old November 6th, 2008, 8:18 PM
CF Active Member

personally i would stay away from cheaper units i have never had good luck with them at all i have installed many different brands they either dont work right out the box, or give you problems later had a few burn up internal parts just problems all together
Old November 6th, 2008, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

personally i would stay away from cheaper units i have never had good luck with them at all i have installed many different brands they either dont work right out the box, or give you problems later had a few burn up internal parts just problems all together
OK. Thanks for the help.
Old November 6th, 2008, 8:45 PM
CF Active Member

not a problem
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have passlock system, and check this via VIN/dealer, you must have bypass module, or you can't install remote start. mine has passlock and key is not chipped. passlock is security system linked to body module that disables fuesl system when computer thinks truck's being stolen.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: jp.diddy

So with the passlock, I could still use a standard key, but still need bypass module for the remote start, then? As far as install, I can get one here for $250-300 installed, + 60 for the bypass,but I also see I can order one from JC Whitney for $179 + 30 for the bypass, and install it myself. The one in JCW looks the same as the one the person showed me today at the install place. Do you know anything about Valiant systems? I don't guess I'm asking for an endorsement, just if someone knows to stay away from a certain one, I'd like to know that.

Thanks for the help.
Yes stay away from JCWHITNEY stuff.
You can get a Remote Start/Keyless Entry for $80
or a Remote Start/ Keyless Entry/ Alarm for $100
The GMBP is about $30