Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2008, 2:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem

Unhooking the hood switch means nothing, it send a signal to the PCM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having an identical problem in a Malibu Maxx as the OP. It has the stock remote starter via the fob, but I can't get it to work. The lock/unlock and hatch buttons work fine, but when trying to use the remote start, the parking lights flash (showing that it received the signal) but it doesn't start. I checked the radio and remote start is set to on/yes. There are no CEL lights on the dash. I purchased the car used with no paperwork or manual. It has under 40k miles. Everything else about the car is flawless.

I love the car, but this problem is stumping me .

Thank you

Edit: The car recently passed inspection so I doubt there are any codes in the system. I can't see them passing my car with trouble/error codes floating around.

Last edited by mixtape; February 2nd, 2010 at 6:29 PM.
Old February 7th, 2010, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Question remote start malibu maxx

With my malibu maxx, the only thing that works on my key fob is the panick and trunk release buttons, my lock and unlock and starter buttons dont work, i need a solushion there are no warnings on my DIC.
I dont get any messages that things arn't working I have everything in the DIC set to On.
Is it possible to use an after market key fob instead of the factory malibu key fobs.
And 1 more thing I go through 3 to 4 right signal Bulbs a year, right side front only, still have left side signal bulb since car bought 2 years ago.

Any help will be appreciated
Old February 14th, 2010, 1:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mixtape
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having an identical problem in a Malibu Maxx as the OP. It has the stock remote starter via the fob, but I can't get it to work. The lock/unlock and hatch buttons work fine, but when trying to use the remote start, the parking lights flash (showing that it received the signal) but it doesn't start. I checked the radio and remote start is set to on/yes. There are no CEL lights on the dash. I purchased the car used with no paperwork or manual. It has under 40k miles. Everything else about the car is flawless.

I love the car, but this problem is stumping me .

Thank you

Edit: The car recently passed inspection so I doubt there are any codes in the system. I can't see them passing my car with trouble/error codes floating around.
Sounds like the hood latch interlock switch is not working. The hood must be closed for the remote start to work, there is a sensor that verifies the hood is closed and relays that back to the computer. If the sensor is not functioning correctly, the remote start will not work, but you will see the parking lights flash confirming the remote start command is received.

Last edited by 2004MaxxLT; February 14th, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old February 14th, 2010, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by somethingcdn03
With my malibu maxx, the only thing that works on my key fob is the panick and trunk release buttons, my lock and unlock and starter buttons dont work, i need a solushion there are no warnings on my DIC.
I dont get any messages that things arn't working I have everything in the DIC set to On.
Is it possible to use an after market key fob instead of the factory malibu key fobs.
And 1 more thing I go through 3 to 4 right signal Bulbs a year, right side front only, still have left side signal bulb since car bought 2 years ago.

Any help will be appreciated
I know nothing about the key fob issue but I had the same problem with my 05 Malibu LS on the front left side. I bought new bulbs from Advanced and cleaned out the connection with a screw driver. The connection is crappy and had melted the plastic connection. Not sure if you have already done that but mine hasn't burnt out in almost 2 years now.
Old November 16th, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Frustrated with my remote start

Sorry to write in this thread. But did anyone find a solution? I have had my remote start work and stop working a great deal of times now. Chevy will fix something and then reset the codes and it will work 1 or 2 times and then quit again. I am sick of pouring money into Chevy only to turn around and go back again to spend more. I am so frustrated because all the buttons work except the automatic start. It will flash once like it received the signal, but not start. I have fixed the hood latch and the oil pressure switch....both fixed it for 1 or 2 starts and then it died again. So tired of this!
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by aidansmom134
Sorry to write in this thread. But did anyone find a solution? I have had my remote start work and stop working a great deal of times now. Chevy will fix something and then reset the codes and it will work 1 or 2 times and then quit again. I am sick of pouring money into Chevy only to turn around and go back again to spend more. I am so frustrated because all the buttons work except the automatic start. It will flash once like it received the signal, but not start. I have fixed the hood latch and the oil pressure switch....both fixed it for 1 or 2 starts and then it died again. So tired of this!
Unfortunately we never did get the problem resolved. The remote start is a nifty feature, but we never got around to replacing sensors and digging any further.
Old November 24th, 2010, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

On my 2006, the same thing happened, but the second remote worked fine. The battery holder solder joints broke loose. I re-soldered, but the remote start does not work. The other functions do work.
Old March 8th, 2011, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

I experienced the exact same problem and when I brought it to the dealer they said it was the hood latch. They wanted about $250 to replace it so I passed on fixing it. I thought to try to bypass it as others have mentioned but it appears that it doesn't work.
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed remote start problem

My remote start on my 2005 Malibu Maxx went out and the Chevy dealer said it was the hood latch sensor that was the problem. The sensor was malfunctioning and the computer was sensing that the hood was open so the remote start would not work. They wanted $230 to replace the hood latch. Being the cheapskate that I am (and knowing I could replace the hood latch myself) I ordered the part online for $80 and put it in myself. A few bolts and unhooking a wiring harness & hood release cable and the latch was replaced and the problem was fixed. The GM part number for the hood latch assembly is #20763655.

Quick Reply: 04 Malibu Maxx Remote Start Problem