Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet

Okay so apprantly a few people have been having the same thing is me.

When it rains or there are heavy puddle of water I am finding out the next day my floor boards are completely soaking wet.

Even after it rains and I will go out with a wet vac and clean up all the water on a sunny day no rain in site here comes the soaking floor boards again. This leak is coming from somewhere, when I drive my car sometimes I can here the water swishing from side to side when I turn a corner so there is water building up somewhere and leaking into my car.

Now the previous post someone posted was the same problem and I found out that there was a problem with the 2006 Equinox Subject stated Water leak from the right side of the instrument panel during heavy rain or when going through car wash vin break points 66027135 to 66035604 now mine is 66022246 do you think maybe they cut this problem off to short.

I guess there is some kind of Plenum drain plug was manufactured from an incorrect material that does not expand enough to allow water in the cowl to drain quickly enough.

What do I do ... I made an appt to the GM Certified Autobody ship but wants to charge me $175.00 to do this diagnostic on it to tell if it was a manufacture problem I am just very frustrated because I am out of warrently but yet I have so much water in my vehicle this cant be normal. I have a little infant and the mold and the smell and the stuff probably built up under my rugs cant be good for him.

someone please tell me I am not the only one.

Old December 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet

the sloshing sound you're hearing is most likely coming from the spare tire well...water flows under the weatherstrip and over/through the metal seams...many equinox's have this seal issue with the tailgate weatherstrip....the product I use to repair the issue is from KENT called HIGH TECH, its a seam sealant, i prefer clear,gives a cleaner look to the repair. Lift the weather strip off the seam, i do it in 2 foot sections, put a generous bead of sealant along the edge of the seam and replace the wether strip, making sure to fully seat .... do this all the way around the opening. If the sloshing sound is in the from end, its likely to be a result of ablockedfenderdrain under the cowl screen causing water to be retained in and around whats called the "bird cage", which houses the heppa filter, if this is the case it'll be soaked and cloged with dirt, so it'll need to be replaced....clear the drain first before replacement of the filter, its a fairly pricey.
Attached Thumbnails  2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet-arearseamleak.jpg  

Last edited by geezz; February 10th, 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old November 9th, 2009, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Rugs all wet inside my equinox!

You are not alone I have been having the same problem with wet carpets for 2 weeks now. Just had the chance finally to take it in today to get it checked out. Everytime I hate doing it cause it winds up costing me $300+ for a rental...
Im hoping its something minor since my warranty has been up since Sept. I can dream....
It's either the windshield or some kind of vent clog...I heard it was on motorweek on tv but cant find the show on line anyone see it and know where I can see it?

I have also been having problems since I bought the car with the battery. I have been jumped many times and towed, but no one can figure out what it is...Once I had my hazards on and it died! Brought it in still nothing...I got the dealers attention though and am going to call him when I get a minute...got to look into that lemon law...Anyone else have a prob with their battery???
Old December 10th, 2009, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Having the exact same problem!!! Please advise me where to clear draing/vent/whatever. Our nox only has 37k on the dash and I was just starting to like chevy's again. But this is quickly testing my patience.
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Question Chevy '06

Same problem here. I've had the car since Aug of '09. The dealer warranty wore off in October (OF COURSE) & my heater stopped working about 3 weeks ago, a few days after that, I noticed my carpet was SOAKING WET. It started on the right back side of the car & now it's all over the back...working it's way to the front! I can't believe I've only had this car for 5 months and it's already breaking on me! I've only put about 15,000 miles on it if not less. This is totally ridiculous & the Chevy dealer out here is charging $230 for diagnostics on the 'wet floor' & another $58 for the heater? Seriously?! Plus, I have to pay $$ for the rental. Does this count as selling me a lemon? lol cause this is just too much for 5 months of service. I had my previous car for 3 years & nothing like this ever happened.
Old January 21st, 2010, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ridinfast03
Having the exact same problem!!! Please advise me where to clear draing/vent/whatever. Our nox only has 37k on the dash and I was just starting to like chevy's again. But this is quickly testing my patience.
If you have the sunroof option, open the roof and poke your head through, facing the front of the vehicle.

On either side there are two small holes that drain the excess water while the sunroof is closed.

Basically, just make sure that it's clear of debris and the molding is free of loose debris that may find it's way into the hole and clog it.

Through my experience with an 07 'Nox, I steer clear of high pressure car washes and wince while going through the high velocity air dryers. Although the seal is relatively good, the air dryers still manage to push droplets through that smack me in the face.
Old March 15th, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default quick fix for this problem

I have the same problem with my 2006 Equinox, I took it back to the dealer, it obviously had this problem when they sold it to me. The cleaned it up then gave it back to me never fixing anthing. Everytime it rains the spare tire compartment fills with water, then eventually gets to the floor board. In the bottom of the spare tire compartment there are two small plates that are siliconed in. I just took a hammer from underneath and knocked them out. I also removed the padding from under the spare tire. It still leaks but now it goes straight through to the ground. Havent had any problems since. no mold, no issues at all. Maybe not the best fix but it was fast and free....
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kent
I have the same problem with my 2006 Equinox, I took it back to the dealer, it obviously had this problem when they sold it to me. The cleaned it up then gave it back to me never fixing anthing. Everytime it rains the spare tire compartment fills with water, then eventually gets to the floor board. In the bottom of the spare tire compartment there are two small plates that are siliconed in. I just took a hammer from underneath and knocked them out. I also removed the padding from under the spare tire. It still leaks but now it goes straight through to the ground. Havent had any problems since. no mold, no issues at all. Maybe not the best fix but it was fast and free....
your issue, is more than likely the liftgate weather seal ... the product I use to repair the issue is from KENT called HIGH TECH, its a seam sealant, i prefer clear,gives a cleaner look to the repair. Lift the weather strip off the seam, i do it in 2 foot sections (less chance of getting the sealant on the rubber weatherstrip), put a generous bead of sealant along the edge of the seam and replace the wether strip, making sure to fully seat .... do this all the way around the opening.
Old November 13th, 2010, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Water leak

The Law Office of Robert L. Starr is currently investigating water leak problems relating to the Chevrolet Equinox. If you have information relating to water leak problems with the Chevrolet Equinox, please contact Robert Starr at 818-225-9040, or email Robert Starr at starresq@hotmail.com
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have a 06 Equinox and I'm experiencing the same problem. The first time this happened was almost a year ago after two days of heavy rain. When I went outside to my vehicle I notice the backseat floorboard was soaked. It happened about three more times after that and then it stopped. But now it's doing it again. I also hear the water swishing everytime I take off.

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox floor boards are soaking wet