Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Tire Size

Old July 16th, 2006, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Size

Did a search and didn't find anything with bigger tires for my new 06 truck.

2006 Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4

What are the biggest tires I could put on the truck. I think 285's will work, not sure. The truck came with Bridgestone V-Steel LT245/75R 16. Don't want to change the rim, just the tire. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T as the truck will be in the fields during hunting season.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Tire Size

i dont know tire sizes well but i went from 225/75s to 235/85s and that was a big jump and the firestone transforce AT's are nice ive had them for about 4k and not a problem and good grip
Old July 18th, 2006, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

I put some Dunlop Radial Rover LT265/75R16 on my 02' 2500HD. They're all terrain tire and they look great and are almost as quiet as the stock tire. As for the biggest size you can put, I was told by Sears that I had to stay with a 10 ply (load range E) tire because my truck was a 3/4 ton and because it came stock with 10 ply tires. I wanted to put some LT285's but could not find any in a 10 ply. Therefore, I had to go with the LT265's. Also, the LT285's will rub just a little.
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Im running 305/70 R16 BFG All-Terains on my stock wheels, however I did have to adjust the torsion bars up in the front end. The tires clear, just barely, In a bind they will rub the front valiance and in reverse in a bind they rub the rear innerfender on the driver side a little. However, the truck looks really nice and im not off of the asphalt enough to really be troubled. You should note that your dealer will not like the torsion bar adjustment and anything above 2 tire sizes and they start questioning your warrenties. I should note that Im running these on a 2006 2500HD Crewcab Duramax, don't know if that matters but it might.
Old July 27th, 2006, 1:08 AM
CF Junior Member

id stick to your warrenty as long as you can, i mean it saves you a good deal of money if problems pop up. also if you are gonna go that big id go for an appropriate lift, i dont mean to bash the torsion bar adjustment, its just i prefer to build things out. its personal preference man, but i was happy going up the way i did cause it FILLED out the wheel wells and doesnt rub at all
Old July 28th, 2006, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Chevrolettruckman8, sent you a PM.
Old January 30th, 2007, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

Here's a good tire size calculator to help find compatible tire sizes.
Old May 17th, 2008, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 05 2500HD gas burner. I was running 285/75/16's on it stock, and had no problems. I had a leveling kit put on, and now the 285's look too small. And you don't have to stay with heavy load rated tires. If you don't haul heavy loads a lot, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:20 AM
CF Junior Member

I had the exact same truck with the same stock tires. You can only increase your tire diameter about an inch without mods (a level kit or a lift). When I was in your shoes I went with the maximum tires without a lift and wasdisappointed with how it turned out. Think about it, is it worth it to spend a grand on rubber to only go about an inch bigger? After wasting my money I eventually put on a 6" lift and35" tires. Seriously, it won't look much different unless you go at least 33" tires, and you'll need at least a level kit to fit those in.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend forced a larger tire on his truck without lifting it and it looks goofy. If you want it to look good do like Bassin said and lift it a little. If you want it to tougher just do a more aggressive tire like an MTR and maybe go a little wider.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Size