Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

rear end oil?

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2008, 2:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end oil?

I am going to change the rear end oil in my pickup, just wondering how involved is the process? Also will I need a new gasket (if there is one), and I am wanting to switch the a synthetic oil, what brands would you suggest? Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 3:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rear end oil?

well if you have the 10 bolt like i do. then yes. you need a new gasket. now. what you do is unbolt them 10 bolts and pop the cover off and make sure theres a catch pan under the pumpkin or you will be very displeased at teh stinky gunk on the ground that takes FOREVER TO CLEAN. now i would wear gloves while doing this. i cant stand the smell of gear lube and it gives me a headache every time. when you pop the cover off get a light and look at the gears and make sure everything is all good look at the teeth and what i do is scoop out as much old fluid as i can. clean the magnet off if you have on on the cover. then start scrubbing the mating surfaces for where the cover meets the pumpkin. clean it good and then clean it again. then when its uber clean, put a slight dash of gasket maker on and make one solid bead but thin around the cover and put gasket on the cover and press and make sure its on snug. then put a slight bead on the gasket and put cover on pumpkin. align holes and bolt down and torque them evenly. make sure they are tight. i tightened mine and 2 days later i was drippin oil so i had to re-tighten again. so yea. and then when you know its tight, on the front of the pumpkin towards where the diff meets driveshaft, theres a 3/8 wrench hole where you unscrew and fill the pumpkin. i forget how much but yea thats it. at my work we have a pnuematic pump we call dif pump. we just take the plug out and suck teh fluid out then put some in and suck it out and fill and done. still sucks but o well. then as for fluid brand. go royal purple. hands down. it will cost you but hands down best there is.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 5:55 PM
CF Junior Member

good question...just was thinkin bout doin that this past weekend and thought id check it out first...thanks northy!!!

capt
Old December 24th, 2008, 1:59 AM
CF Active Member

Didn't even get a new gasket when I did my front and rear diffs. and my T-case. I just used RTV black from permatex. They don't leak at all, and it was super easy. You can do it when It's on the ground. I did mine when it was up on the lift at work just cause it was easier. I change mine every 15k. And usually I run a lil bit of new diff. fluid through before I put the cover back on just to make sure I get all the old crap out. It's a pretty easy service.
Old December 24th, 2008, 4:44 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone know how many qrts it will take? I'm going to order some royal purple but at $17 a bottle I don't want to order more than I need andnone of my manuals will tell me.
Old December 24th, 2008, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

2 qts...just got done mine...actually just shy of 2..hope this helps

capt
Old December 24th, 2008, 5:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Its a little over 2 qt. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove cover.
Old December 29th, 2008, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

What type of Royal Purple are you using? Just regular gear lube?
Old December 29th, 2008, 7:41 PM
Super Moderator

75W - 90, is what I planned on using. Thats what the manual says to use.
Old December 29th, 2008, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

hmm...mine was shy of 2 qts...what would the difference be?

Trevor

Quick Reply: rear end oil?