S10 & Blazer DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions pertaining to S10s and Blazers.

Rough Idle? Stalling out? Loss of Power? I may have the answer.

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2009, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle? Stalling out? Loss of Power? I may have the answer.

Hello all, I posted a question on this forum several months back asking why my 1997 S-10 w/ 2.2L4 had a rough idle and would stall out when stopped with the A/C compressor on. At the time, I received several possible answers from a clogged catalytic converter to a malfunctioning throttle position sensor. I finally took the truck to a local mechanic who ran a complete diagnostic on the truck and found that the number 4 cylinder spark plug was gas fouled. After much discussion, we determined that the culprit must be the number four injector that I had replaced several months back. I had replaced the stock injector with an off-brand, lifetime warranty injector from Auto Zone. My mechanic had noticed over the years that the only injectors that work properly in the 2.2L4 found in the S-10 and caviler is AC Delco. He didn't have an answer as to why this was, but as soon as I replaced the off-brand injector with an AC Delco, my problems cleared up immediately. So if your S-10 is running rough and you just changed injectors with off-brand equipment, that may be your problem.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old January 21st, 2009, 5:07 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great example of "You get what you pay for"
Thanks for the info!
Old October 8th, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

My 98 s10 2.2 starts fine but back fires and idels like its runing on two plugs . It started about a month a go every time it raind now its realy bad cant even drive it just no power when i give it gas
Old October 14th, 2011, 3:13 AM
CF Beginner

Angry 1992 GMC Jimmy,has loss of power,stalls,and speedometer problems

I have a 1992 GMC Jimmy.My speedometer usually runs normal,but every once in a while the speedometer will just start acting really crazy.Last week the speedometer started acting up and @ the same time there was a total loss of power,and the truck would stall.No clue what the problem is.The fuel filter was suspected so we changed that out,along with cap and rotor,no luck.Someone mentioned the O2 sensor,and someone else said the carburator.I need help bad!!
Old November 4th, 2012, 7:54 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

do you think injector cleaners work i have tried some but really can't tell
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

They do, but work better as a preventative rather then a fix... meaning if you use them regularly you will get the most out of them... if you haven't and are now having injector issues it might be time to have them professionally cleaned...
Old June 27th, 2013, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

sorry to ask a dumb question most likely in the wrong spot, but i just bought a 98 s10 with the 2.2l4 and the previous owner said he had fuel pressure issues with the truck, but at random intervals, mabey every day or mabey not at all for weeks, he was told it was the pump/sending unit and purchased one but never installed it on the truck, i plan on installing it myself, but i was wondering if there could be another problem, ie fuel pressure sensor? or mabey something else, also is there downloadable pdf's on repair manuals? thank you and sorry for the post in the wrong spot
Old September 28th, 2013, 4:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

try changing the cap and wires
Old October 7th, 2013, 8:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalling out

HI,My son just bought a 94 gmc w/4.3 and we started having problems with stalling,back firing and such.
There's a TSB about the ignition module might check this out.