Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 malibu rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2009, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 malibu rattling noise

We just boughta 2005 Chevy Malibu and I hear a rattling noise from the rear of the car. I notice it the most when braking? Anyone know what this could be? I don't notice anything loose in the back and the jack and spare tire are secure.
Old March 5th, 2009, 1:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it when turning, going over a bump, idling or what? It could be a million things. It could be rear strut mounts, sway bar bushings, exhaust sheilds or even the muffler... I could think of a ton of things. For all you know it could be a window regulator. Please be more specific as to where its coming from other then the rear. Does it sound like its in the car or trunk? If need be fold the rear seats down, have someone drive you around while you listen for the noise with your head in the trunk.
Old March 6th, 2009, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

I only hear it under low speeds over bumps when driving straight. It sounds like it is coming from under the rear seat. I have heard about the rack and pinion issue with these cars but I don't hear anything in the front. The exhaust system is snug, no rattle there.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Ya know ODG, it could be that pesky intermediate steering shaft and/or Rack&Pinion clanking. My daughters 05 did the same thing and we had hell finding it.
Old March 9th, 2009, 8:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension on these cars are junk. Other then that, they are pretty good cars. I like it. The rattle could be just about anything. Like I said, either you are going to need to crawl under there while someone pushes down on the car. Or have someone drive it, fold down the seats and stick your head in the trunk so you can get a better idea of where its coming from. Whether its a body piece, suspension part... left or right.