Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nav Disc update DVD v.4.1c

Old April 5th, 2009, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Disc update DVD v.4.1c

I received and installed my free Nav disc update from Chevy. today (Map data version 4.1c) for my '07 LTZ factory NAV For the first time this particular disc contained a firmware (software) update as well. No big deal here, it only took about five minutes to load and then rebooted the whole unit when done.
I first noticed that the font on the digital clock was larger, that's a plus. When I shifted to reverse to back out of my garage it lit up my reverse camera way faster then before, meaning not any lag time, that's a plus definitely. HOWEVER when I went to play with
the navigation itself ALL MY FRIGGIN address book entries were FRIGGIN GONE. The entire address book was empty. even "previous destinations" were erased.
I made it through the last two DVD updates without this happening so a full two years of destinations are completely GONE.. I am reasonably certain that there is no way to recover these as they were stored in the firmware ROM chip that just got flashed. If I am wrong please post accordingly. My beef is that there should have been a warning about this on the DVD sleeve and I could have copied down the important destinations onto PAPER if I had to. Thanks for reading my Whine MacTahoe
Old April 5th, 2009, 7:20 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I do remember seeing some posts re: this erasure of addresses in this forum and in the Tahoe Forum. To my knowledge there's no way to recover. I had to re-enter all mine. A real PITA.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been warned on this forum long ago about the firmware update deleting the stored addresses so I called GM to verify this and was told by them that it would not delete the stored addresses and they were WRONG!!! It does delete everything during the firmware upgrade. I had copied all my addresses down on paper prior to the upgrade and glad I did as they all have to be re-entered. I also asked about finding the actual gps coordinates for each of the stored addresses and that is not possible with these units either (those addresses are impossible to copy if you had just marked a spot you were at and don't know the actual address). I think GM had a big bug in this update package!
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

On a recent episode of Damages, they show a guy entering lat/long in an Esky nav. I looked at mine and don't see that option. Am I missing something or maybe just need to RTFM?
Old April 9th, 2009, 7:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can enter lat/long in the GM nav units but you can't "retrieve" them from a marked spot or address you put in. Press the "DEST" hard key then select the "Pick from Map" screen button then select the "Map Coordinates" screen button. I use Google Earth all the time to find a certain spot and when I find it I look down at the bottom left and write down the gps coordinates, enter that in the nav unit and it will take you right there, very useful.

Last edited by genestoy; April 9th, 2009 at 7:39 PM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I need to re-read the manual. Can never remember how to enter cross streets instead of addresses. Just don't use that option very much.
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really messed up! There definitely should have been a warning issued.
I appreciate the post and will be picking up 4.1c soon.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

This a great forum! I just got my first Tahoe this week. I upgraded from an Explorer, and am in love with my Hoe. I got an 07 LTZ with nav. Does Chevy give the updated nav disc for free while under warranty? If not how did you get a free one?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 2:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. The free upgrades are available only for 2007s. Not sure if it has to be original owner. Go to https://www.gmnavdisc.com/overview.do
and try it. Worst they can say is no.

Congrats on your new truck.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

I called the number on the disc today. They asked for my vin and determined that I was elligible for a free update. I had until Dec 31st, but took the upgrade now due to the updated firmware and faster rearview camera MacTahoe mentioned. Unfortuneately they're on backoreder til who know's when. Thanks again for the great info, if it wasn't for this sight I'd still have v2.0.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nav Disc update DVD v.4.1c