Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

96 Geo Tracker Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2006, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Geo Tracker Ignition Problem

Last week I went to start, made noise when put in key with door open, (battery good), when turned key on - Nothing.
Later pulled out ignition fuse under hood and reinserted. Started right up.
Today, had the same problem again, but this time checking fuse didn't fix problem, replaced the fuse, didn't fix the problem.
Can anyone help me. I don't think it is a starter problem, because it is completely dead.
Old March 17th, 2011, 3:02 AM
CF Beginner

Check fuel pump relay and fuel filter(filter is by gas tank toward front and the relay is on driver side of console by steering column) .You can try to clean the tank with a chemical solution from any automotive parts store.

Or try this other parts to check which I only got from Geo repair questions when my cousin had a quite similar problems as yours.

1: engine compression , 180psi on all 4 , if all way less then you have a serious problem.
2: check fuel pressure.
3: check injector signals with a NOID light.
4: check spark first.

Last edited by archebald23; March 21st, 2011 at 5:15 AM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar problem except the fuse blows as soon as the key is turned on, fuel pump has been replaced, distributor and module has been replaced, what else could it possibly be?
Old August 6th, 2011, 7:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I can't say I understand. The fuse is there to protect the circuit from an electrical short to ground. Don't you need to find where the short is before throwing more parts at it?
Old August 7th, 2011, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tracker Fuseapalooza

I am just going through what the chevy dealer mechanic has suggested, the wiring has been traced and no short was found. So it has been a spend snd replace to see if we hit the right part. So far no luck.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His suggestion may be based more on the time than any methodology. The customer may balk at a full day's labor which is what it can take to find a short by systematically isolating components. I can only wish you luck, then.
Old November 19th, 2013, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

I have a '96 tracker 16 valve engine and wires that go to alternator, coolant temp sender and vacuum valves all go along under the fuel rail and short to ground out one by one. I had to run new wires around passanger side of engine.When the alternator wire shorted, the coil fuse blew. Had to tow it home.