Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

05 Silvy 2wd tie rod removal...

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Silvy 2wd tie rod removal...

What tool should I use to remove the tie rod from the rack? I dislodged the taper from the spindle, I'm just wonder how the heck to remove the other end from the rack. I figured before I go in there and try my own methods I'd ask around here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm asking cause I'm installing the Mazzulla LT kit on the truck, pics of the build later.

Deez
Old April 23rd, 2009, 5:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Three methods I know of:

Borrow, buy or rent the proper sized "Pickle fork".(There's ball joint sizes, and tie rod sizes)

Back the nut off a few threads, and with it still on the end, whack it with a hammer. Not the most successful, and not generally recommended.

Take a large vise grips, vise it onto the end you're trying to remove, and whale(wail?weep?) away with a large hammer.

Method #1 is highly recommended by most.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 9:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, you have tierod end removed from the spindle, right?
do you have rack-n-pinion?
if yes, you have tierod end and tierod.
you have tierod end removed (dislodged?) from the spindle?
tierod end then simply screws off the tierod.
tierod end should screw out of the rack. brake the clamps that holds rubber boot in place to slide rubber boot off and get to guts. then, simply, use hose clamps to put rubber boot back on.
if you have g'ol parallelogram steering, with steering gear and idler/pitman arm and connecting rod, tierods screw out of connecting rods. we have done it some six mths ago, piece of cake.
Old April 24th, 2009, 5:41 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
ok, you have tierod end removed from the spindle, right?
do you have rack-n-pinion?
if yes, you have tierod end and tierod.
you have tierod end removed (dislodged?) from the spindle?
tierod end then simply screws off the tierod.
tierod end should screw out of the rack. brake the clamps that holds rubber boot in place to slide rubber boot off and get to guts. then, simply, use hose clamps to put rubber boot back on.
if you have g'ol parallelogram steering, with steering gear and idler/pitman arm and connecting rod, tierods screw out of connecting rods. we have done it some six mths ago, piece of cake.
OK yes, the tie rod end is removed from the spindle. How do I screw the inner tie rod out of the rack? I was just going to use either channel locks or a vice grip on the rod itself.

Deez
Old April 24th, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. remove the dust boot on rack-n-pinion assy; basically, break clamps loose and then, like i said, replace them with regular hose clamps, unless you just want to buy crimping tool for OEM clamps
2. slide dust boot off rack and as far off towards the tierod end, as you can, to access the connection between tierod and rack
3. there should be a ball type joint where tierod connects to the toothed rack. parts stores will rent you a special tool for this, with instructions, if tierod does not turn out from hand.
4. roll tierod on a piece of glass. if it rolls smoothly, it's good. if it wobbles and clunks - you have to replace it.
if your boot has a breather tube, you must reinstall boot exactly same position it was on originally.

of course, alignment follows next, but you know that. i did tierods twice, once on rack-n-pinion and once on parallelogram steering, both times tierods just turned out from hand. but they must have some reason to have that tool available, you might need it for your situation.
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Thanks, I'm replacing the old tie rods and tie rod ends with heim steering tie rods(for the long travel kit) so no need to be gentle. I haven't even tried unscrewing them by hand. lol Guess I should of thought of that, oh well. Either way I'll get it off, no need to spend extra money at a parts store when I'm not reinstalling them anyway. Thanks.

Deez