Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hearing a "water" noise...

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 7:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hearing a "water" noise...

kind of a vague question here...but many mornings as I'm leaving for work when I accelerate I hear the sound of water sloshing around from my passenger area...basically in front of the glove box. I haven't poked around yet to see what this maybe, but I'm new to the full size pickup world...any ideas what this could be?

Sorry for the vague details...
Old May 6th, 2009, 8:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I can think of would be the gas tank, coolant reservoir, washer fluid reso., or the heater core. I can't imagine the heater core would be sloshing, but I guess it could be possible you are hearing that. Is the passenger floor wet at all?
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
CF Active Member

i have heard this before if your low on coolant yes it can make funny sounds like sloshing in the heater core... but it could very well be the coolant overflow... like the last guy said..
Old May 6th, 2009, 2:37 PM
CF Junior Member

hmmm...I'll check the coolant overflow bottle as well as my radiator. And nope...the passenger floor isn't wet.

Thanks for the starting points!
Old May 6th, 2009, 2:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a 2000 blazer and it did the same thing, I then proceeded to pay a shop to replace my clogged heater core and had to replace my intake gasket, watch your temp gauge and heat depending where you live, does it only do it while accelerating?
Old May 6th, 2009, 3:07 PM
Banned

Replacing a heater core is a pain on any car and even worse on some. You should try to flush it before replacing it.

For future referrence before replacing it try using Prestone Coolant Flush. It comes in a medium sized yellow bottle and the part number is 1101. Add that to the cooling system while the car is at operating temp. Let it run for 15 minutes. Then flush the system out by pulling the block plugs, radiator hose, and t-stat. Then take a hose and spray out the heater core. Put it through the feed inlet and keep spraying until it comes out clean and then refill the cooling system and bleed it for any air or leave the cap off to realse any air. If you leave the cap off you want to do it for a minimum of 20 minutes and continue to top it off. Take it for a test drive and then check it again. It will drop slowly so you want to keep an eye on it until you are certain it's full.
Old May 6th, 2009, 5:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ah, you won't hear it as much if you turn up the radio?

Sounds like the heater core. Possibly the control valve isn't opening up fully, or you have a partial blockage. A flush would probably be a good idea at this point.
The following users liked this post:
Showgoat (November 30th, 2023)
Old May 7th, 2009, 7:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rivereye
Ah, you won't hear it as much if you turn up the radio?
Cheapest and fastest solution to all noise related problems. Lol.
Old May 7th, 2009, 2:00 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with the whole check coolant levels first thing. It is the cheapest and the first thing that crossed my mind. The heater core is in the location that you explained (or at least it was there on a 1998 and a 1991). I'm not sure what year vehicle you have, but I'm guessing the heater core is there on pretty much all chevy trucks. Sometimes you might not feel wetness on the carpet, but you might feel it under the carpet. But let's assume, for your sake, that the heater core hasn't gone bad. If it ends up being bad, you can reroute the heater hoses to run a loop around the heater core, therefore bypassing it, until summer is over. That is, if the heater core is bad and if you don't feel like spending money at the time.
Old May 7th, 2009, 2:11 PM
Banned

Even if you bypass the heater core for now it will eventually need to get fixed. I guess that is depending on where you live. Heater cores are a pain to replace. On some cars you have to tear the whole dash out.

Quick Reply: hearing a "water" noise...