Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding swivel seat anyone know what this does?

Old May 25th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding swivel seat anyone know what this does?

Hey everyone, I am adding a swivel seat to the passenger side of my van and the base is hitting something on the bottom of my seat. It would be easy to remove but I don't know what it does. It is a small metal piece that bends up and runs through the middle of a u shaped plastic piece that looks like some kind of sensor. Anyone know what it is?
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Things to do in this case :
1) buy a camera
2) ask someone with a steady hand to film part 3
3) cut the pieces away.

Now two things could happen :
a) nothing happens and your swivelseat problem is solved.
b) the thingie happened to be some kind of mechanism that explodes, sprays oil gasoline or liquid fluid , ignites the airbags, makes your car fall apart completely.

In case A, all is fine.
If case B occurs, well... then at least you might still be able to win that flat screen tv by sending in the tape to "funniest home videos".

So what I'm really trying to say in a sort of sarcastic kind of way is... take a picture cause nobody here has even the slightest clue of what you are talking about.
I think (but really...do take that picture...) that its the sensor that locks the swiveling when you're driving.

What year is your Van from? CAuse they always told me that you cant put captain chairs in the old types because they are too small.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

I concur. You need a picture and year of your vehicle. It could be the part 'that looks like a sensor' could be the passenger airbag sensor.
Old June 11th, 2020, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you resolve?

Originally Posted by jhensel
Hey everyone, I am adding a swivel seat to the passenger side of my van and the base is hitting something on the bottom of my seat. It would be easy to remove but I don't know what it does. It is a small metal piece that bends up and runs through the middle of a u shaped plastic piece that looks like some kind of sensor. Anyone know what it is?
I'm trying to install a shop 4 seats swivel as well ran into the same problem. Thinking of cutting it off but not sure of the purpose. Let me know if you figured this out. Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2020, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Here's what he's talking about. I'm running into same problem. L shaped metal bracket rubs on swivel base where I placed key. Thinking of grinding down base or removing bracket all together. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by 07kastenwagen
I concur. You need a picture and year of your vehicle. It could be the part 'that looks like a sensor' could be the passenger airbag sensor.