Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Parking Brake Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2009, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Light Stays On

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I always set my parking brake and have never had a problem. Today when I went out I released the parking brake and started down the street and the chiming (warning bell) started - I noticed the parking brake light was on, so I stopped, put it in Park, engaged the parking brake and released it again thinking it was stuck, but the light didn't go out and the chiming continued. Any simple fix for this??
Old June 8th, 2009, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pulling up a little on the parking brake pedal, it may not be retracting all of the way and contacting the switch.
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks - I am pretty sure I did that but will try again. I did have someone look at the brakes as I set and released the parking brake and it looks like it is grabbing and releasing on both wheels, so atleast I'm not driving with the parking brake on
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 LT3 Tahoe and its having similar problem. I posted a thread on here to, so you can see the details on mine.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/parking-brake-problems-23498/

- My issue seems to be related to the parking brake release lever/handle thing. When I have the issue, usually if I pull/mess with the release handle a few times, it clears it out. Recently I had this happen and I couldn't get it to stop, so I placed a folded paper in the side of the release lever/handle to extend it a little and I haven't heard it complain since.

- I am planning on taking it in to the dealership to see what they can do about that. I will let you know the out come.
Old March 16th, 2014, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem on 2002 Suburban

I'm having the same problem with my parking brake not completely releasing...like there's a broken or worn out spring somewhere? But I can't see where that would be. In the beginning it started feeling looser and looser, and then one day it didn't come up all the way and I got the alarm thing until I manually pull the pedal the remaining distance up with the brake release handle pulled. Now that is the norm every time I drive.
Old March 16th, 2014, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Did you get any information from the dealer?
Old March 16th, 2014, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

While it may be spring related, I'd first try lubricating the pivot points.
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Meischa
I'm having the same problem with my parking brake not completely releasing...like there's a broken or worn out spring somewhere? But I can't see where that would be. In the beginning it started feeling looser and looser, and then one day it didn't come up all the way and I got the alarm thing until I manually pull the pedal the remaining distance up with the brake release handle pulled. Now that is the norm every time I drive.
So, we finally just took the darn thing apart. We were partially right with the "spring" theory. Inside of the parking brake mechanism, there are two cogs that actuate the coiling of the brake cable. Those have become misaligned and so the mechanism won't fully work. The entire assembly needs to be replaced, as most of it is machine-assembled. I've seen other similar threads, so this seems to be a common problem. What a pain!
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

oh wow so im having the same issues as you guys above so here im thinking I have worn out brake pads