Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

vortec 6.0 tuning

Old June 16th, 2009, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortec 6.0 tuning

does anyone know of a good tuner?, i been asking a few of my friends and they said maybe superchips however iv been told its more if a towing tuner and also that hypertec isnt good....im all ears for any help but id like to get one that will actually work meaning i can tell there is added hp..
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
CF Active Member

diablo sport predator worked pretty well for me. no complaints about it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 7:41 AM
CF Active Member

hypercrap sucks, superchips sucks, JET sucks, Diablo is the only decent handheld for gas, but not as good as.......
custom tune from blackbear or nelson performance.

Last edited by bad2006z71; June 17th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think it depends what you're looking for.

If you just want it tuned once for power or performance, Nelson Tune and Black Bear both come well recommended, and you save a little money.

I've found that I can connect my Predator to my laptop with a DB9/USB cable. It also helps to reset parameters (Such as tire size or gear ratio.) In the PCM.

IMO,if you get any programmer, be sure you have the upgrade feature which allows you to connect to your laptop. Most major brands have websites and provide further support.
Old June 17th, 2009, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

im not going for a nelson or blackbear tune, i dont really race or pull anything i just need something that has some "get up and go" to it
Old June 18th, 2009, 7:04 AM
CF Active Member

then i restate nelson or blackbear. ive owned two hypercraps and they were the biggest waste of money.

your get up and go is determined by Torque managment and abuse mode, which only the predator and custom tunes address.

diablo will give you about 10hp or so on 87, nelson and blackbear will give you about 15-18hp to the wheels and cost less. they can update for tire size and all that stuff just like a handheld.

but do what you like as long as you are happy with the results, thats all that matters
Old June 18th, 2009, 9:51 AM
CF Active Member

I'm pretty sure if you literally went to a shop to get a nelson/blackbear tune, you could tell them not to mess with the transmission; that way you'd have all the benefits of a legit professional tune, and you wouldn't have to worry about your transmission giving out prematurely.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

well with that said, nelson and blackbear might be the way to go
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get edge performace programers they are the safest and the best i have a 6.0 vortec was geting 9-12mpg and am now geting 15-18mpg and shift ing and performance are crazy spanked a durmax the other day on icey road it cost $680 but is worth every penny igot the cts with is touch screen they have a cheaper one that has buttons and dont have back up camera capability it cost $430 and they have a new hand held on e that is not as fance but has the the tunes and its under $200 but its the best thing iv ever put in a truck and the best thing has multipule choices from trany to fuel economy to toweing and performance and extreme look in to them and buy one you wont be disappointed
The following users liked this post:
jeffwiggins (January 19th, 2021)
Old January 14th, 2012, 3:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others said, Nelson or Blackbear. I'll even through in Wheatley, he tunes my truck. Hypercrap, superchip, jet, bully dog, even edge all suck. They do nothin for you. I've had em all on my truck(friends had em and I tried em out). Weren't worth a crap, oh an takin the torque management out and abuse mode won't hurt your tranny. I'm runnin it all out on my tranny with 200k on original tranny/rear end/ engine. Actually helps prolong the life of it because it doesn't have the soft shiftin that will eventually lead to clutches slippin an burnin up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vortec 6.0 tuning