Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Help! Tail lights and dashlights out!!!!

Old June 21st, 2009, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Tail lights and dashlights out!!!!

I have a 2000 malibu. I had it aligned, new tires, new brake pads and the rear tail light fixed. I was told they could not fix the tail light, that something was out. It was only the driver's side that was out. When i got in the car to leave, the "service vehicle soon" light was on. They said it was nothing they did! At night, I noticed my automatic dashboard lights did not come on - completely black! Then I took it back to them, and they said all my tail lights are out! This is very dangerous and I need to know what to do. They are refusing to help me.
I looked at the fuse for the automatic light system but it's this huge grey fuse that will not come off.
I cannot find the fuse for the tail lights.
Any help would be appreciated.

BTW - I am hooking a uhaul up to the car this week and driving across the country! The uhaul will need to be wired to my cars system!
HELP PLEASE
Old June 21st, 2009, 8:22 PM
Impala Super Moderator

You have a fuse out. Try back up relay fuse
Old June 21st, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, do you know where that fuse is located? Are the tail lights the park lights?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 5:31 AM
Impala Super Moderator

SHould be in your manual
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

A mechanic that refuses to help you out?????? I hope you'll be looking for another mechanic ...

All fuses come out. Even the big grey one. If needed use powertools. (start with a plier and gripper, if that doesnt work, use a chainsaw or hydraulic powerdrill. If brute force doesnt ge t the job done, it means you're just not using enough of it !!! )

You do know that you have 2 fuse boxes, dont you? One under the hood (big black box) and one on the driver side of your car under the dashboard.
In the 2001 series, theres a fuse diagram on the lid of the fuse box under the hood. This one should point you into the right direction.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I guess I do need some more strength. I am hoping an employee at the auto store will help me out with the fuses. My car, the 2000, has 3 fuse boxes. But I think they call the tail lights the park lights? It's so confusing.
I am also taking it to another mechanic tonight who is going to check all the electrical for me!!!!
I hate Strauss Auto - they also jacked up my alignment, I have to take it back tonight!

UH!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

So, i did some investigating and the tail light fuse is marked parking lights. it was the fuse! i got a new one and now all the lights are back to normal!!!
Old March 19th, 2012, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Malibu Classic Had the Same Issue

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic and had the same issue. It was the micro fuse/relay (bigger grey one) in the engine compartment fuse box. I changed out the fuel tank fuel pump and reinstalled it after a bit of undercoating to deaden some road sounds. I hooked back up the battery and drove it the next day. The "service engine soon" came on and later that night I noticed no dash lights or tail lights. I went through every tiny fuse, but have never had to replace a micro fuse/relay. I found the micro fuse was hot and located next to the 15 amp blue fuse. I replaced it with my horn relay and let the hot one cool. It worked in the place of the horn, but I will replace it with one from the salvage yard later so I don't have to worry about it lcoking up again. This post helped me locate it.