Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy Fails to Honor Warranty

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2006, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Fails to Honor Warranty

I'm quite surprised that Chevy won't cover a warranteed Catalytic coverter.

At the time I had it replaced, it was under warranty, but I didn't know that, at 74,000, that I still had any parts that were still under warranty, so I had it replaced at an independant mechanic.

I found out a couple months later that the part was under warranty. I then searched for the receipt and found it a couple months later.

After calling Chevy's 800 number, they referred me to a dealer, who said that there was a good chance that I wouldn't get reimbursed because I didn't have the defective converter!!

I again called the 800 number, only to hear that because:

1) The work wasn't done at a GM dealer (duh!) I DIDN'T KNOW THE CONVERTER WAS UNDER WARRANTY

2) I didn't service my car (oil changes & tire rotations) at a GM dealer WHY WOULD I DO THIS WHEN I COULD GET IT CHEAPER SOMEWHERE ELSE??? I WAS TOLD THEY LIKE TO REWARD LOYAL CUSTOMERS. I'M DRIVING A GM CAR. I'M ALREADY A LOYAL CUSTOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!BESIDES, HOW DOES GETTING OIL CHANGES AND TIRE ROTATIONS SOMEWHERE ELSE VOID A WARRANTY???????????/

3)I wasn't the original owner. HOW DOES THIS VOID THE WARRANTY????

Has anyone else ever run into this problem and is there someone else in the GM heirarchy to whom I could present my case? The employee I talked to would not give me the name of who she reports to and said that whoever it was, would back her up. She became really sarcastic and rude when I asked for her name, said she gave it to me at the beginning of the conversation, but did, with more insults, give it to me again.
Old August 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Chevy Fails to Honor Warranty

I would go to a chevy dealership (if you want to get extreme get a tape recorder) and talk like you want to buy a new car, and ask if it will void the warranty if you change the oil, tranny pan and filter, (service work) your self. From what I have seen and heard from the dealerships it doesn't matter who does the work so long as it is done. (But if you have a problem it is harder to prove that it was actually done) If you do any thing yourself keep your recipts, in a folder or something. (all of them, day one to 10 years later) If it was a recal and under warranty and they won't pay you for it with a recipt, but they say you can change your oil yourself and they will still warranty it I would catch them in that lie then say why won't you honor my cat when you know it was under warrenty and didn't notifiy me of the problem. Then go on to say something about a vaction possibility of you being stuck 600 miles from home cause the car wasen't drivable or the wife having to pick up the kids from day care that charges a dollar a min extra that you are late or something like that.
Old August 27th, 2006, 3:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with number 1 but number 2 and 3 are crazy.

Your pretty much out of luck though. You had it done at another shop, you don't have the old convertor, so you pretty much have no proof and asking them to hand over money.
Old October 8th, 2006, 9:14 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

Your pretty much out of luck though. You had it done at another shop, you don't have the old convertor, so you pretty much have no proof and asking them to hand over money.
I agree .

btw...The independent shop you had the work done should have had the ***** to tell you this could be done at a dealer under the emission warranty.
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

For what its worth, and just to bitch and whine..... My 2000 Express van was still under the 3 year warranty but beyond the 36,000 mile warranty when a third of the AM/FM/CD/Cassette radio face went dark. I was told this was not a matter of light bulbs anymore but circuit boards. So I took it to the dealer and they said "sorry" even tho' it was within the 3 years time. I pleaded what does mileage have to do with a radio but to no avail. So, I called the Chevy "customer service" number. LOL I don't want to explain the "service" I got from them. After a couple of phone calls they said I had to take it to my dealer - it was up to him! Well, been there, done that, and one third of the radio lights are still out. Yeah, like a rock............
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:15 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're trying to make it sound as if GM is not honoring their warranty when this isn't the case at all, in the warranty booklet it clearly states that; "all covered repairs must be obtained at a Chevrolet dealer facility".

If you would have had the converter replaced at a Chevrolet dealer it would have been covered (no questions asked) under the 8/80k Federal Emissions Control System Warranty Coverage, but you didn't.
It's up to you to read and understand the owners manual and warranty booklet that is given to you at the time of delivery, if you don't then you have just one person to thank for that.

I can't think of a single warranty on this planet (for any product) that would cover repairs performed by an unauthorized service center using a part made by God knows who.

There is also an enormous difference between changing oil (servicing) and swapping out catalytic converters (repairing) there Mr. kcb37.

I also shouldn't have to explain to anyone just exactly what a 3/36k mile warranty means, do I?
Let your car insurance lapse for a day or two and see just how much coverage you have when crash.

Old October 10th, 2006, 1:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does not matter who or where your change your oil, as long as you have documentation showing it was completed. As far as being the second owner it doesn't matter if your the first or the 31st. You can not expect to be reimbursed for "warranty" work done at an independent shop, for all GM knows your converter was just fine and the independent shop was just hanging parts. Do not be upset at GM because you did not read your owners manual or take it to them first.