Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2000 monte ss eng dies at warmup temp

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 monte ss eng dies at operating temp; won't restart

I have a 2000 monte carlo ss 3.8 v6 that will start but dies as soon as the engine warms up. It runs smooth until warm up, starts running rough and dies. Also dies if you put it in gear. It will not restart until it cools off, then you can start it and it will idle smooth, you can rev it up, but as soon as it starts warming up it starts idleing rough and dies again.The fuel pump was replaced because a fuel pressure gauge showed no fuel pressure but that did not fix the problem. you still can not drive it. It has 98,000 with no prior engine problems until this. TIA for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sunshine219; July 14th, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: I wanted to better describe the problem.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:56 AM
CF Active Member

sounds kind of like a sensor deal to me but also posibly like a fuel pressure rebulator
Old July 23rd, 2009, 8:19 PM
Taz
CF Beginner
MonteCarloForum Liaison

Just a thought, but maybe the thermostat is no good.
Old July 27th, 2009, 2:35 PM
LME
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sunshine219
I have a 2000 monte carlo ss 3.8 v6 that will start but dies as soon as the engine warms up. It runs smooth until warm up, starts running rough and dies. Also dies if you put it in gear. It will not restart until it cools off, then you can start it and it will idle smooth, you can rev it up, but as soon as it starts warming up it starts idleing rough and dies again.The fuel pump was replaced because a fuel pressure gauge showed no fuel pressure but that did not fix the problem. you still can not drive it. It has 98,000 with no prior engine problems until this. TIA for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever replaced your intake manifold gasket on this puppy? When they're seeping but not leaking they will sometimes run rough as you describe.
Old July 27th, 2009, 5:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a possible bad ignition module
Old July 28th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default thanks, still down

Originally Posted by LME
Just out of curiosity, have you ever replaced your intake manifold gasket on this puppy? When they're seeping but not leaking they will sometimes run rough as you describe.
No, never have replaced the intake manifold but I did smell a clogged catalytic convertor when I got it started. My daughter has been driving it and she had to have it towed home a couple weeks ago. Checked the car out, seemed to be not getting fuel, the pump was starting up, no fuel pressure. Replace the fuel pump, it starts(the fuel pump) and the car, but will not run past operating temp. I have no engine codes, I don't want to parts change, too much money... Sounds like it could be exhaust/sensors or convertor, ignition system/module, IAC sensor ,crankshaft sensor, and mass air flow sensor . Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to find the monte manual to get the test volt info. It hasn't been out for a long time, this has been a great car!
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would concentrate your efforts on the ignition module and crank sensor