Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Disable Auto Door Locks on 2006 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2006, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Auto Door Locks on 2006 Silverado

I have posted this before but thought it was time to revisit and perhaps from a different angle. First of all let me assure you that the following is fact (I really wish it wasn't though). Beginning with the 2005 Silverados, GM decided to remove the disable program from the auto door lock features. The 05's and 06's (Silverados anyway) with electronic door locks now automatically lock when the vehicle is put in gear or when it reaches a certain speed. I understand why some owners would want these options but I can assure you that there are plenty of owners who hate it and would simply like to lock the doors when they want them locked and unlock them when they want them unlocked. Simple really. Apparently there is no other way to change this feature except for GM to provide the programming code to their dealers who could then update the Body Control Modules (BCM). I have even gone so far as to contact Superchips and Hypertech to see if they would be interested. No they are not. I have contacted everyone that I can at GM but so far no luck. I have been on every forum I can find and nada.

So here is my new question - Does anyone know anyone at GM who might help with this or does anyone have a good strategy for getting a company like GM to respond to such a simple thing? OK - when you stop laughing - give it some serious thought.

One last thing - I was in a 2006 Ford the other day and they still provide a way to disable the auto door lock feature. OK -I know what you are thinking but I really like my Silverado except for this one thing!!!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 7:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Disable Auto Door Locks on 2006 Silverado

Boy!, you and me both. I hate that I am not able to disable the autolock feature. I also asked my saleman and the auto repair dept and my dealer all to no avail. I did not go as far as you did, but I would love to find a way to do it. Please let me know if you find a way.
Matador
Old August 29th, 2006, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. There are lots of owners who feel this way. Contact GM Customer Support. Let em know how you feel. I actually got a couple of calls back from letters I sent to the top GM Execs who are over Electrical Programming Design. They probably were more lips service than action but who knows. If enough owners raise enough hell....

I shall not rest until I regain control of my door locks!!!
Old August 29th, 2006, 8:55 PM
CF Senior Member

i dont supose there is somthing easy like a fuse you can pull? to easy right.
Old August 29th, 2006, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Nomad beat me to it, but not having the power locks on a truck like mine(crew cab) would suck, and pulling the fuse would disable the keyless entry. The only thing that bothers me is I am always trying to open the door at the same time I am putting it in park causing the lock to hang up. You have a good idea, if you find a fix let us know.
Old August 30th, 2006, 2:21 PM
CF Senior Member

I could see GM doing nothing about that, because it is a saftey feature and will say something like (you shouldn't open your door until you are to a complete stop and trans in park) I am also sure the owners manual will say something similar. So to disable them to open your door before you were stopped could give them reson not to honor your warrenty too.
Old August 30th, 2006, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

That point has been raised before about the safety issue. And I certainly understand the reasoning. The argument on the flip side of that is really two fold. One is that there is already a safety feature designed to keep you from falling out of a moving truck - it is called a seatbelt. There is even a law requiring you to wear them but so far no law requiring doors to lock - just a manufacturer. The second (probably less effective) argument is - OK now the doors auto lock and I have some type of emergency and I need to exit the truck quickly but the doors have auto locked and I am too studid to think clearly and unlock them myself. GM has now trapped me in this burning cauldren of death and if I survive.......well you get the point. I also wonder why if this is such a big safety issue why Ford is not doing the same thing??

Also thanks to the others on the fuse idea. Yep - I have looked at that and nope the draw backs are too many.

One idea that has surfaced is to place a toggle on and off switch on the ground side killing power to the lock solenoid. In theory with the right wiring diagram and the right expertise (of which I have neither) you could completely disable the locks all together and then turn them back on for normal function. Of course the best "non-rigged" way would be for GM to get with the programming program!
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default There is a way to override chevy's auto door locks!

I have developed a kit that will disable the auto door locks on 2005-2007 Chevy Trucks. Requires removal of door panel and easy soldering job to install electrical component that keeps door from locking automatically without sending error signals while maintaining keyless entry. Simple to install. Email me for info. Kent at Essentialtraining@hotmail.com.
Old October 19th, 2009, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default disabling auto door locks on my 2006 silverado

i took this bulletin to my chevy dealer. they added the manual setting to the selection in the BCM, no problems. it has to be owner requested. i can now disable the automactic locks when i'm out at the deer lease. and turn it back on when i leave. works great, glad they finally gave us a choice.

Subject: Disabling Auto Door Locks

Models: 2005-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005-2008 Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2008 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years and Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT3189G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that they are unable to override the automatic door locking feature. In prior model years, customers were able to select "Doors Lock Manually" from the DIC. However, starting in the 2005 model year, this selection was removed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Since the 2005 model year, all BCM's (Body Control Modules) are programmed from the factory to allow two personalized door lock settings:

Setting 1: All doors lock when the transmission is shifted into gear.

Setting 2: All doors lock when the vehicle speed is greater than 8 mph (13 km/h).

New BCM calibrations have been released for the 2006-2008 model years to allow a Setting 3: No Automatic door locking (Manual). This setting should ONLY be turned on at the owner's request. Use the appropriate procedure below for the vehicle you are working on to disable the auto door lock feature.

Use the following procedure to turn on this feature for models:
• 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

• 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

• 2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

• Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. In some rare instances, the calibrations may not be available in Tis2Web and Techline Customer Support should be contacted to obtain the calibrations. When at the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web select the "locking" tab (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed as "(Per customer request only) Auto Door Lock option ENABLED on DIC".

• On vehicles equipped with steering wheel controls (RPO UK3), DIC control buttons are included. Use the DIC buttons to scroll through the personalization settings to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be to two different settings: "Lock with speed" or "Lock in gear". You will notice there is NO new setting but also there will be no "check marks" next to any of the settings. This means the auto door lock feature is disabled. If there is a "check mark" next to one of the "Auto Door Lock" selections then the only way to remove the "check mark" is to scroll to "Factory Settings" and select "Restore", this will remove the "check mark" thus disabling the "Auto Door Lock" feature.

Note: Please keep in mind that if "Factory Settings Restored" is selected it will change all of the other personalization settings back to the factory settings and they will need to be reset back to the owners settings.

• On vehicles without the DIC control buttons once the BCM is reprogrammed with the new calibration the "Auto Door Locks" will be disabled and can not be turned back on unless the BCM is reprogrammed back with the previous calibration.

Use the following procedure to turn on this feature for models:
• 2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

• 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

• 2006-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

• 2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

Note: NO new calibrations are available for the 2005 models or vehicles with manual transmissions.

Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When at the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web select the "locking" tab (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed "(Per customer request only) Auto Door Lock option ENABLED on DIC".

On vehicles with Steering Wheel Controls (RPO UK3) use the controls to scroll through the personalization setting to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be a new "Manual" selection now available to choose, along with the two previous selections "In Gear" and "With Speed".

On vehicles Without Steering Wheel Controls (RPO UK3) enter the door lock programming mode, procedure located in section 2 of the owners manual. Once in the programming mode press the lock side of the drivers power door lock switch, you will hear either one, two or NO chimes. One chime indicates you are in Setting 1 (lock in gear), Two chimes you are in Setting 2 (lock with speed) and NO chimes you are in Setting 3 (Manual). Continue to press the door lock switch to scroll through the 3 different selections until you hear the desired setting and then exit the programming mode by turning the ignition key on.

Last edited by jivy99; October 19th, 2009 at 8:11 AM.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

What is the updated PI #?
Thanks!