S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

carbon buildup

Old September 1st, 2006, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon buildup

i have a 94 s10 blazer 4 x 4 and its having problems. it was having trouble idleing and the mechanic told me it was a carbon build up and that it is a common problem with chevy's. well, they cleaned out the tubes with brushes and the next day it did the same thing. so they took apart the engine and cleaned it deeper, but it still isnt running right. i want to know if anyone has experienced this problem and what they did/what the cause of it was. thanks.

tim
Old September 1st, 2006, 2:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: carbon buildup

Exactly what does it do at idle? Does it run ok at higher engine speeds? I think that Your mechanic is a bit off base. Check the idle control solenoid and the EGR valve. These are the kind of things that will cause an idle problem. If it's running ok at above idle conditions, carbon buildup is not the problem. The carbon buildup occurs in the EGR valve which does exactly what it says ( Recirculates Exhaust Gases ) which is where the carbon would come from. Thanks for listening.