S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2002 4.3 Service Engine light blinking at speed

Old September 16th, 2009, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 4.3 Service Engine light blinking at speed

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forum, I posted an intro over in the intro area if you wanna check it out. Anyway, I have a problem with my "new-to-me" 2002 S-10 that I just purchased a few weeks ago. It has the 4.3l Vortec and only 29,xxx miles on it. When driving on the turnpike at 75mph, it will sometimes feel like it's missing, and then my service engine light will flash. The only other time it has done that was under heavy acceleration while getting on the freeway. It also seems sluggish when I floor it from a stand still, but doesn't cause the CEL to flash. The code didn't stay in the ECU because I had Autozone check it the other day. As far as I know, there hasn't been any proper tune-ups done on it yet, since it only has 29,xxx miles on it. I'm planning on changing plugs, wires, oil/filter, tranny fluid/filter, air filter, and the other essentials at 30,xxx miles. I did a search for various terms I thought might relate to this problem, but was unable to come up with anything. If any of you think this may be something that isn't related to any of the tune-up items, please let me know. I'm at a loss as to what may be causing it. Thanks in advance!
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Check and make sure all the plug wires are on the plugs nice and tight. Also, if they are you will need to replace wires, cap and rotor. Sounds like a simple missfire.

After changing those, I would also recommend you replaced the fuel filter, also have the oil system flushed.

Guess, last thing I would recommend, is that you need to have the ECU check for failures if the flashing is still occuring.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the codes first to see where the problem is before you go replacing things. Just my 2 cents. It may take a drive cycle to get the code to activate again if the auto store cleared it. Did the code scan give you any codes we can help you with? It does sound like your due for a tune up as well.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 17th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like it is a bad plug,my friend had the same problem .His service engine soon light came on when driveing and then went off.This happen a few time before the light stayed on long enough to get a code of it.It turned out to be a misfire and fixed with a new set of plugs.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

well, up until the day I posted this, it didn't have any codes stored, because it would just blink a few times, and stay off afterward. but the same day I posted this, on my way home it actually finally stayed on, so I went straight to autozone and had them pull the code, it came up P0303. Misfire cylinder 3. Sorry for the delayed reply, being on dial-up makes me stay off the internet. I plan on doing a full tune-up in the next few weeks. I'll start off with just plugs (ac delco platinums ftw, yes?), but if it continues to misfire, I'll change the wires. Thanks for the replies though guys. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by mmstone24; September 18th, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant go wrong with the AC Delco plugs. I use the iridium Delcos.