Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP- '98 Tahoe-new engine-won't start-no spark at coil

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- '98 Tahoe-new engine-won't start-no spark at coil

Just finished rebuilding the engine. Everything is connected and plugged in but it won't start. There is power to the Ignition Control Module plug and the coil plug but the coil won't put out a spark. Engine turns over fine. Can't figure out what the problem is. Could it be a fault in the crank sensor?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Note- It's a new coil. I hooked up the old coil and same problem.
Old September 19th, 2009, 7:19 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may be on the right track thinking it's the crank sensor. Your electronics are a lot different than my 95 so I can't offer much advice other than to double check the distributor was installed correctly.
Old September 19th, 2009, 6:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Go over complete wiring harness and check for grounds not connected. One loose or not connected ground can cause this. Also double check for any plugs not plugged in. You've got quite a few around the coil and distributor area. I know you said you did this, but one more check won't hurt. You also have grounds down around harmonic balancer, that if not connected, will cause problems. Once you do get it running, the timing will have to be set while plugged into a computer. If timing is off your CEL will come on. Inside your distributor is a sensor that tells the computer what the position of camshaft is and then computer checks crank position through that sensor and knows when to fire.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Well I found out what the problem is. After testing the Ignition Control Module, coil and the crankshaft sensor I got under there and visually looked in the hole for the sensor. What I saw, or rather didn't see, sent my blood pressure to the top of the meter.

I had the shop that did the machine work on the block and heads assemble it as well. I figured what the heck, less work for me. When I got the block back they had already installed the timing chain cover. Well, whoever built the engine neglected to put in the reluctor ring for the crank sensor on the crank shaft. Needless to say I'm a little pissed off.

Somebody's gettin' a phone call Monday morning.

I've already torn down the front of the engine and will pull the pan tomorrow. Not the nicest job with the engine still in the car. I was looking forward to spending Sunday relaxing. Not now.

I guess the lesson learned would be ALWAYS recheck someone else's work no matter how good they are. I know people make mistakes but I don't like paying people to make mistakes.

Thank you mudmaniac and RPegram for responding.

Name:  IMG_1018.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  47.4 KB
Old September 20th, 2009, 6:32 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update and good luck.