Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

oil in the radiator

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in the radiator

new to site but familiar with forums, i was wondering what is wrong with a chevy impala oil or trans fluid in the coolant but no water in the others which is puzzling seeing as the radiator has more pressure than the engine or trans so just wanted to see what you guys thought it was
Old September 30th, 2006, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: oil in the radiator

I had this same problem with a Ford Windstar. The problem is either a bad head gasket, or cracked head. The Ford 3.8L is known for bad head gaskets, so I'm assuming that it was the head gasket. My daughter also had a Dodge 3.0L That recently had the head gasket changed by an idiot, and it was doing that also. Therefore I would assume that your problem is a bad head gasket. I agree, it seems a little odd that it would go from oil into antifreeze, and not the other way around, but trust me, if you keep driving it (which I did with the Ford) It does end up going the other way too.
Old September 30th, 2006, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

well thanks for the advice we will look into it and i will let you know how it goes
Old October 1st, 2006, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

i heard from a chevy mechanic that it could be the trans cooler has a crack and the trans fluid could be blowing across into the radiator fluid. or the intake gasket is blown and thats where we are getting the oil from. what we are going to do is pull of the transmission lines going to the coller pressurize the cooling system and see if we get bubbles. if thats the case i will let you guys know if you have any shortcut to performing this process let me know it will be appreciated.
Old October 11th, 2006, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

there is actually a class action lawsuit against gm for defective gaskets that they wont recall.....the lawsuit describes the 3.8 (3800) and when i talked to gm they said the 3.4(3400)....