Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Oil change - Location of Oil drain plug on 08 Aveo?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change - Location of Oil drain plug on 08 Aveo?

I acquired a 2008 Chevy Aveo5 recently. I'm just about to do an oil change on the car. I thought I knew where the oil drain plug is, but when I tried to remove it I couldn't get the bolt off. So now I'm not sure that's really the oil drain plug.

I thought on the 2008 Aveo the drain plug is near the back of the engine engine on the drivers side and you need a 19mm socket. But a other posts on the web claim it is closer to the middle and that you need a Torx-45 socket.

So I'm a bit confused. It sounds like the oil drain plug changed on the 2007 or 2008 model. Can anybody clear up the confusion? If you could post a photo of the oil drain plug that would be great.

Last edited by PeterPiper; January 24th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars, but maybe theres something to this. I can't help you though.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars, but maybe there's something to this. I can't help you though.
Thanks. I've been changing the oil for years on my old 80's BMW 325 so naturally I figured I would do the same for the Aveo.

There must be someone out there who can tell exactly where the drain plug is on a 2008 Aveo.

I think it is the 19mm bolt hanging down towards the back of the engine on the driver's side, but I'd like to be sure before I start.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars,.
I second that. If you can not identify the oil drain plug yourself, then you should leave it alone. The $10.00 you will save by doing it yourself is not worth the thousands you could cost yourself.
Old January 24th, 2010, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I second that. If you can not identify the oil drain plug yourself, then you should leave it alone. The $10.00 you will save by doing it yourself is not worth the thousands you could cost yourself.

I intended to flush the engine first and then switch to synthetic oil.
I already bought the oil & filter. If I could get it done for $10 that would be fine with me, but I don't mind doing it myself.

I'm going to visit a Chevy dealer in the next day or two for some unrelated issues.
Maybe I can get them to print out the oil change procedure for me.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterPiper
Maybe I can get them to print out the oil change procedure for me.
I think they will tell you the same thing. I do not believe there is a manual that gives vehicle specific oil change procedure. At my shop the labor for a oil change is $7.80 even if you bring your own oil. You may want to call a few places.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I think they will tell you the same thing. I do not believe there is a manual that gives vehicle specific oil change procedure. At my shop the labor for a oil change is $7.80 even if you bring your own oil. You may want to call a few places.
The oil change procedure is pretty much: 1) loosen the oil drain plug, 2) drain the oil, 3) change the filter, 4) re-fill with oil 5) take the old oil somewhere for re-cycling. But thanks, that's good advice. I think I will call and see if a shop will do it. At the same time I can ask them to show me where the drain plug is on this vehicle.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

I just looked your shop up on the off chance that you're somewhere nearby. Amazingly, you're only 25 mi away from me at the moment in Charles county, MD. That's a little far to go just to change the oil, but if I have any other issues I'll certainly look you guys up.
Old January 25th, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Meanwhile, is there anyone out there who can tell me exactly where the oil drain plug is on the 2008 Aveo?
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I've tried to unscrew the most obvious bolt (19mm) hanging down on the drivers side. I was pretty sure that's the drain plug but even after multiple attempts I can' t get the thing to budge.

Can anybody out there tell me exactly where the drain plug is on a 2008 Aveo?

A pic of it would be great too.

Quick Reply: Oil change - Location of Oil drain plug on 08 Aveo?