Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Replaced Alternator and Battery.......Now ABS & Brake Light Stay ON!!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Alternator and Battery.......Now ABS & Brake Light Stay ON!!!!

My alternator Died on my way Home so I was towed Home.

I proceeded to replace my alternator and My Battery

The Van Started Right up! but the Brake light and the ABS lighton the dash came on and won't turn off.

I hooked up the code scanner but did not get any codes.....
I the cleared all the codes bu the lights still remain on ...the car was running fine up until the alternator went bad....

Any Suggestions? Thanks... i really appreciate it need ot get this thing fixed!!!

Btw... it is a 2005 1500 4.3 V6 Cargo Van.
Old January 27th, 2010, 7:17 AM
CF Active Member

Did you check the fuses for brakes and abs?
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Shortly after I started this thread.. I checked all the fuses.. thinking that maybe due to a voltage fluctuation it caused one of the fuses to fail.. but they all were ok!

I proceeded to turn the van on and take it for a slow spin around the block to see if it had any brakes at all.......

Thank fully after about 20 seconds of driving it at 15 mph and tapping on the brakes lightly a few times it was all back to normal the brake light and ABS light both went off!!!!

My van now has 260 000 miles and the alternator is the only thing I have changed other than tires !....... Very Happy with it!

Thank you for your help!
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Shortly after I started this thread.. I checked all the fuses.. thinking that maybe due to a voltage fluctuation it caused one of the fuses to fail.. but they all were ok!

I proceeded to turn the van on and take it for a slow spin around the block to see if it had any brakes at all.......

Thank fully after about 20 seconds of driving it at 15 mph and tapping on the brakes lightly a few times it was all back to normal the brake light and ABS light both went off!!!!

My van now has 260 000 miles and the alternator is the only thing I have changed other than tires !....... Very Happy with it!

Thank you for your help!
Old January 29th, 2010, 8:27 AM
CF Active Member

If it happens again. I would check your front calipers. If they are starting to cease it will cause your abs and brake light to come on. I had this problem with my astro. The shop I brought it into said it was the module and wanted $2000 to fit. Needless to say I told them where to go. When I did the pads next i noticed the calipers were tougher to push back in. The calipers were then changed and abs worked great after that.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 9:05 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default abs & brake light

I have 2 G30 454's
the brake light came on after the sencer on the alocation bar fried
the ABS light came on after the speed sencers fried 1 wk later
the fix was a new wire harness cause you cant get just the alocation sencer and the abs light goes out when they replaced the speed sencers in the hubs . the tranny and the rear end
Attached Thumbnails Replaced Alternator and Battery.......Now ABS & Brake Light Stay ON!!!!-lady-beast.jpg