Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Equinox Throttle Position Sensor/Stability Track / Reduce Engine

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Equinox Throttle Position Sensor/Stability Track / Reduce Engine

I put my vehicle on a scanner to find out what the problem was. It came back with a code saying "Throttle Position Sensor" so what I did was look up the code to find out more information about the TPS. I then went to other mechanics and asked them about the TPS and I had them put it on a scanner as well.

I took my vehicle to Chevrolet to check it out and to get the part, they told me that TPS is not a separate part but a butterfly mechanism assembly an that I would have to replace the entire Throttle Body. I was floored because it is a 2007 Equinox that I have. I was shocked that it would even have this problem this early on. Well anyway, I went home and came back because they could not help me out at that time because they were really busy and could not take time out.

I called and talked to someone in service and got the cost for the part for the Throttle Body and of course I went ahead and paid for it. So that I could bring the vehicle in to be serviced by the time the part got to the dealership. Well I get there and a service person tells me that it is not the Throttle Body but the Acceleration Pedal and that I should only replace it because I would be wasting money replacing something else that may not need to be replaced.

Well I got a refund for the Throttle Body since it was not in yet and paid for the Acc. Pedal and got the vehicle repaired that next morning. My vehicle is still acting up and doing the same thing that it was doing before. The Stability Traction Light and Reduce Engine Problem still comes on.

I am really angry now because I should not have let the so called service mechanic talk to me out of replacing what I felt was wrong with my vehicle. I put my vehicle once again on the scanner and I got the same thing TPS - P0121. I called the Chevrolet again and told them of the situation (I am waiting on an answer still) how did they come up with the Acceleration Pedal when myself and others came up with TPS for the Throttle Body to be replaced. I was told that it was what they got as a code and not what I or other people had as a code.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was actually replaced or repaired? Need answers ASAP Please!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Annalee Rodriguez (February 29th, 2020)
Old February 10th, 2010, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 07 equinox too and I had the exact same error messages, yesterday, and took to my local dealer for the warranty service, they told me the code, the exact one that you got, and told me it was the throttle body.

they replaced (under warranty for me) and the car is back to normal.
didn't take them long to fix either, car was in for oil change and detect and fix this problem and was ready in 2.5hrs!!

throttle body it is!
Old March 5th, 2010, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
I put my vehicle on a scanner to find out what the problem was. It came back with a code saying "Throttle Position Sensor" so what I did was look up the code to find out more information about the TPS. I then went to other mechanics and asked them about the TPS and I had them put it on a scanner as well.

I took my vehicle to Chevrolet to check it out and to get the part, they told me that TPS is not a separate part but a butterfly mechanism assembly an that I would have to replace the entire Throttle Body. I was floored because it is a 2007 Equinox that I have. I was shocked that it would even have this problem this early on. Well anyway, I went home and came back because they could not help me out at that time because they were really busy and could not take time out.

I called and talked to someone in service and got the cost for the part for the Throttle Body and of course I went ahead and paid for it. So that I could bring the vehicle in to be serviced by the time the part got to the dealership. Well I get there and a service person tells me that it is not the Throttle Body but the Acceleration Pedal and that I should only replace it because I would be wasting money replacing something else that may not need to be replaced.

Well I got a refund for the Throttle Body since it was not in yet and paid for the Acc. Pedal and got the vehicle repaired that next morning. My vehicle is still acting up and doing the same thing that it was doing before. The Stability Traction Light and Reduce Engine Problem still comes on.

I am really angry now because I should not have let the so called service mechanic talk to me out of replacing what I felt was wrong with my vehicle. I put my vehicle once again on the scanner and I got the same thing TPS - P0121. I called the Chevrolet again and told them of the situation (I am waiting on an answer still) how did they come up with the Acceleration Pedal when myself and others came up with TPS for the Throttle Body to be replaced. I was told that it was what they got as a code and not what I or other people had as a code.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was actually replaced or repaired? Need answers ASAP Please!!!!!!
I also have a 07 Equinox & I am getting the same message, Stabiltak off, Service Traction Control, reduced engine power. I haven't taken mine in yet to be diagnosed but it is very frustrating since it is a fairly new vehicle to be having this type of a problem. The strange thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes I can drive it for days & it's fine, then some days it will do it constantly. I was told it's a senser. If you get an answer please post it because I am very interested.
Old March 7th, 2010, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JAR,

I have recently gotten it repaired and it was the Throttle Body which is what I stated in the beginning.
Old January 11th, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Equinox Throttle Body

My 07 has just reached 51040 miles and today I had to replace the throttle body. I had to bring it to a Buick dealer (and was pleasantly surprised) as no Chevrolet dealer could accommodate me even with an emergency request. Even the dealer I get my regular service from. The car was running awful bucking, stalling running roughly. I thought it was going to be very costly as Buick told me $125.50 just to diagnose the problem. Net result is he told me it was the throttle body and fixed it no charge under the 5Y 100K power train warranty.
Old March 19th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

My 2007 Equinox is throwing the same issues. I am getting a P1516 code as well as a P2135. I cleared the codes and I unplugged the throttle body plugs to see which codes with be thrown. P0122 & P0223 were the codes I got when the throttle body was unplugged. I am going to change the accelerator position sensor (gas pedal asssembly) which I got from Napa for $60.

The dealership said over the phone that they needed to replace the throttle body to change the sensor...$500 fix with the actual part costing around $300. Does anyone know if I can change the throttle body without needing it programmed if the accelerator position sensor isn't the fix?

Of course I am above my warranty. 1.5 months ago I had the head gasket blow and had the heads resurfaced & put new gaskets on. This car has caused more headache than any other I have owned.
Old December 31st, 2014, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Equinox has Throttle Body Issues

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that has been to the dealership twice since I purchased it in May 2014. The first time, Nov 17, 2014, I lost power, no power steering and got an error code, "Stabiltak off, Service Traction Control, reduced engine power". This happened on an exceptional cold night, under 20 degrees and I was not able to steer the vehicle, either.

It was repaired at a certified dealership in Roseville, MI to the tune of $600, replacing the throttle body. The vehicle broke down again on Dec 30, same codes, same situation, temperature under 20 degrees.

Has anyone else experienced this?
There seems to be many entries about the matter on many different "car talk" blogs on the internet.

Last edited by Chief of Deals; December 31st, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief of Deals
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that has been to the dealership twice since I purchased it in May 2014. The first time, Nov 17, 2014, I lost power, no power steering and got an error code, "Stabiltak off, Service Traction Control, reduced engine power". This happened on an exceptional cold night, under 20 degrees and I was not able to steer the vehicle, either.

It was repaired at a certified dealership in Roseville, MI to the tune of $600, replacing the throttle body. The vehicle broke down again on Dec 30, same codes, same situation, temperature under 20 degrees.

Has anyone else experienced this?
There seems to be many entries about the matter on many different "car talk" blogs on the internet.
What DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) were retrieved with the scan tool? The warning messages displayed in your DIC are not codes . Please elaborate what you mean by "lost power". Do you mean the lights dimmed? The engine stalled? The engine ran but at reduced power?

The electric power steering uses a lot of power and the Stabilitrak feature utilizes the ABS which also uses a lot of power when it engages. If your electrical system can't meet the demand, nothing will function correctly, and quite often DTCs are triggered; some of which may be false positives.

Without knowing anything else, I believe the stealership didn't properly diagnose the issue. I certainly can't diagnose it remotely, but I think battery & alternator would where I'd start if I were looking at it. If the battery has never been replaced, I'd replace it because you are definitely on borrowed time. If the battery has been replaced make sure it is rated for at least 650CCA. Checking the terminals for corrosion would also be a good idea.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to them if the same issue wasn't fixed.
Old May 6th, 2015, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy equinox

You have to replace the entire throttle body on the car. My mother is having the same problem with her 2012 equinox. You can order the throttle body from RockAuto.com.
Old May 19th, 2015, 4:19 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 Equinox 2.4L with approx. 82,000 miles. Engine light and 'reduced power - service stabilitrak' light came on several times the last few weeks.
Brought it in to Chev dealer. I was there at the dealer for under 2 hours. Their finding: "Tech checked and traced code to shorted throttle pedal position sensor. Installed new accelerator pedal as needed and relearned the system and reset idle and rechecked ok."

Labor - $188.00. Parts $73.74 Total=$261.74.

I called corporate Chev. 800 222-1020. They informed me, after a half hour and speaking with 2 different service people "sorry, we checked the manual, this part is not covered by the 100,000 mile warranty."

If manufacturers would allow the Chev owners to access this manual we could all save ourselves a lot of time. We could all check the manual to see what is covered and what is not. Doubt that will ever happen.

Quick Reply: Equinox Throttle Position Sensor/Stability Track / Reduce Engine