Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier Won't Start

Old October 10th, 2006, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier Won't Start

I have a 96 Cavalier, and the dash lights come on when the key is turned to on. The starter was just replaced. No sound or clicking or anything. Just turn the key and nothing happens. I thought about the ignition switch, but if I turn on the fan and have the radio on, when I turn the key to start, the radio and fan shut down, which I think all cars do that when starting, so I don't think it would be the ignition switch. What else could it be and is there some way to just jump the starter with a screwdriver or something to get it to spin and crank the engine. I guess I need to check if there is power getting to the starter in the first place, but how should I go about doing that? Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 11th, 2006, 1:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Cavalier Won't Start

you can take the starter off and just check it with a battery. check to make sure all the wires are tight that go to the starter.
first.
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

K, the starter works and has been tested. It's good. I'm going to recheck the wires and make sure it's all tight before going further. Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Did you check the battery itself?

Just because the dash lights , radio , and fan come on doesn't mean there's enough cranking amps for the starter.
Old October 12th, 2006, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, the battery is crap, but I did have jumper cables from another vehicle to boost the car. But even with the jumper cables hooked up, nothing, nada, no clicking, no sound whatsoever coming from the starter.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM
CF Pro Member

If the battery has an internal short ( which can happen) the vehicle won't start even with jumper cables.
Old May 13th, 2008, 8:09 PM
jbp
CF Beginner

It could be your Ignition module I had this problem with my Honda civic wouldn't make a noise but all other fireing was o.k.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t rule out the ignition switch just yet. There was a recall on the switch for 95 thru 97 Cavalier as well as other GM models. The original switch was poorly designed in that the current to the starter was routed directly through the switch rather than via a relay. If the car fail to start, and the driver held the key in the start position and cranked the starter for an extended period of time, the heat from the current would actually melt the switch. Note the ignition switch is a separate component from the key lock cylinder. See if you can engage the starter by jumping the terminals with a screwdriver. If the car turns over then most likely it’s your ignition switch. The following site is helpful if you decide to change the switch: http://www.freeengineinfo.com/ignition-switch-1.htm I think the switch will run about $45, or so, at most auto stores
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys I had about the same problem, car was running fine all day went to go start it again and nothing, not click, no sounds. so I had the battery tested its good and fully charged, and I replaced the starter, and now it turns over but will not fire. I've checked for gas in the fuel rails so I'm getting gas, not sure on spark though.

I have attached the wiring diagram that I see on my car. the only one I'm not 100% about is the purple wire because of the wire loomes. thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails  Cavalier Won't Start-diagram.jpg  
Old April 24th, 2012, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default No start

i have about the same problem, no start. was coming home from a friends and it just quit going down the road. got it home and tried it, no start. listened for a fuel pump noise, nothin. it does start with starter fluid so its getting spark. the fuel filter needed replacing, replaced it. still same no start. the Theft System light is on all the time, not blinking then going away.

98 cavalier 2.2