Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How-to for dash removal? '97 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to for dash removal? '97 Suburban

Does anyone know where I can find a how-to for removal of the dash from a '97 Burb?

I have two, possibly related, problems: (1) There is water leaking from under the passenger side of the dash, onto the floor mat. This is pure water, no coolant. (2) The blower motor is not working. Perhaps damaged (shorted out?) by the water?

I figure I will try to remove the blower motor, but it looks like I may have to remove the dashboard first.
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

The blower motor can be removed without removing the dash. There is 5-6 bolts that are 7mm if I remember right (took mine out a couple of weeks ago). On the passenger side of the vehicle, there is a black rubber molded pad that covers the blower motor. Mine just fell off, so I'm not sure how yours is mounted. One you remove that pad, you will be looking at the back side of the blower motor. I think I also removed the glove box to make it easier.

Here's a pic of what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails How-to for dash removal?  '97 Suburban-suburban-055.jpg  
Old March 12th, 2010, 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me on my 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue. Water was leaking from outside, running through the blower motor and leaking onto the passenger footwell from the holes in the side of the motor. On that car, the issue was a piece of weatherstripping around the fresh air intake for the HVAC system. It had fallen off and when it rained heavily, water would make its way into the blower motor.

I first discovered it in the spring with a wet floorboard. I thought I fixed it, but the weatherstrip fell off again. The next time I found it was after it snowed 12 inches, melted and then got down to zero. The snowmelt leaked in and froze in the blower motor. No defrost made the car difficult to drive. After I got it thawed out by leaving a space heater in the passenger footwell for a few hours, I glued on the weatherstripping with epoxy.

Point of the story is, I would check your blower motor for signs of water intrusion and then try and find out where it is coming from.
Old March 13th, 2010, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the glove box, pulled the rubber cover off the blower motor, and removed the blower motor. I found quite a bit of water in the plastic housing where the motor goes. You can see the water at the bottom of the circular housing:

A close-up also shows moisture through the circular hole. I assume that's where air comes into the blower?

I could not figure out where the water is coming from. Everything above and around the blower appeared dry. No evidence of a leak. I even pulled the cover of the air intake (in front of the windshield, where the wipers are) and poured water into it. It appeared all the water drained under the car; no evidence of any of that water making its way to the blower.

By the way, the blower works on the highest fan setting. Nothing on any of the lower settings. I guess that's something else to deal with.

Since the problem no longer seems to be an issue of pulling the dash, I'm going to repost much of this into a new thread with a different subject heading.

Thanks for the input,

Mark
Old January 24th, 2011, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default bad resistor

I looked on all data diy.com and it says the blower resistor is bad if it does this and also the blower could be making the resistor go bad as well
Old January 30th, 2011, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the post!

I did end up replacing the resistor, and that got things back in proper working order. That was April of last year, and so far, so good.

One day when the weather warms up and I have some time to kill, maybe I'll look and see if water is still collecting in there. If it is, then there is no sign of it yet.
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default how-to dash removal 97 suburban

MARK,
Pastor, Vester, and JC all gave you accurate advice. I had the same problems as you did with the same vehicle, a 97 Suburban. Replaced the blower resistor problem solved. Opened the blower motor housing water and leaves found. The motor shorted which probably blew the resistor. That item by the windshield is the rain tray. That is where the water comes in on mine. So, I guess it is named appropriately because it lets in rain.

I would like to partially remove the dash so that I could run cables from an inverter by the battery into the front row of seats. So, if you do find out how to remove the dashboard, please let me know at trund@optonline.net

Thanks,
Ted
Old November 13th, 2020, 8:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Besides removing the cowling at base of w/s, after wiper arm removal, and inspecting for seal problems there which is a very well known area for water leakage, you may also have a blockage for the evaporator drain hose that is supposed to drip the water outside just under the firewall area when you use a/c and defroster.
Old November 13th, 2020, 8:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
Besides removing the cowling at base of w/s, after wiper arm removal, and inspecting for seal problems there which is a very well known area for water leakage, you may also have a blockage for the evaporator drain hose that is supposed to drip the water outside just under the firewall area when you use a/c and defroster.
That was also my thoughts; have had that happen: a clog in a rubber drain hose, and water backed up...
Old November 13th, 2020, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I belong to another Tahoe/Yukon forum and we see and talk about these water leaks all the time and the vast majority of the problems are related to the drain hose and at the seals under the cowling below the w/s. I would say at least 80% of the time these are the culprits.

If you have to look deeper it can be the windshield, outside antenna(s) mounts or door seals among the other likely culprits.

Quick Reply: How-to for dash removal? '97 Suburban