Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2006, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote starter

I am looking to buy the facotry remote starter and install it on my 2007 Tahoe and was wondering if anybody knew how hard or easy the install would be? I was under the impression that all of the 2007's came with the wiring harness in place, but my dealers service department is trying to tell me that it has to be an after market install and they outsource it.

Has anybody installed one?

Old October 16th, 2006, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: remote starter

i was just at the dealer pickin up a part and on guy told the same thing and then another guy corrected him saying that all the 2007 tahoes come wired for a remote start but u need to buy 2 new remotes and they need to order a another part for it to work.
Old October 17th, 2006, 6:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New 2007 Tahoe LS and 1LT models come equipped with RPO AP8 which is a "Remote Starter Prep Package".

If you wish to add Remote Start (AP3) to these vehicles you will need to purchase a Kit GM part #19154444

This kit comes with two remote start keyless fobs and also instructions and a code, this code along with the VIN for the vehicle it is to be installed on must be called into GM TechLink Center and they will convert this over to a new VCI code that will then become available for the installing dealer to download and reprogram your BCM with.

A dealer will have to do the install and you cannot just purchase the remotes and get the dealer to unlock the remote start function in your vehicle as they cannot do it without GM's assistance and the only way GM will give the dealer the new VCI is if they have the secret code that comes in the kit.

The kit (GM part #19154444) costs about $200 including installation.
Old January 28th, 2007, 5:03 AM
t2
CF Beginner

Does GM offer a remote start kit that includes only the code and instructions? I have heard conflicting answers on this from Gm dealers and the local ADI.
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

ZX, so buying the remote on Ebay would be waste of money right ?
That was what I was going to do.
Old May 20th, 2007, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Just to make sure, if I have AP8 I can buy part #19154444 with the codes and take it to the dealer and they will program it??

My dealer told me it would cost $800 for two remotes.
Old May 20th, 2007, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: unleashed85

Just to make sure, if I have AP8 I can buy part #19154444 with the codes and take it to the dealer and they will program it??

My dealer told me it would cost $800 for two remotes.

Dealer did mine for FREE... Well not really free. After signing the papers on the new Hoe', I mentioned how I forgot I wanted the remote start. Came back the next day to pick up the Hoe' after they detailed it, and the salesman tells to bring it back next week for the remote start install. NO EXTRA charge.

I was told it's usually a $200- 300 add on. New kit with remotes, codes, and about 1/2 hr. tech time to reprogram the computer.

Search around different dealers, I think $800 is HIGH....
Old May 21st, 2007, 6:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Remotes on E-bay are fine. They can be reprogramed to work with any Tahoe. The only thing is they need the code.
Old May 21st, 2007, 1:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to enable (unlock) the remote start feature on an AP8 equipped GM vehicle is to obtain a VCI code thru GM.
Once unlocked any vehicle correct remote keyless transmitter can be mated to the vehicle and will work.

The problem is that the only way GM will give out a VIN specific VCI code is with the purchase of KIT #GM part #19154444

In other words; there is no way around the purchase of this kit if you would like to enjoy the factory remote start feature.
Old November 5th, 2007, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

How do you find out if you have the AP8 option on your car?

Quick Reply: remote starter