Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Now have P0101 code

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2010, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now have P0101 code

I had the 0171 and the 0174 codes for a while, and after cleaning the EGR valve, they went away. Then the SES light came back on. I assumed that it was the same thing, and the stumbling and hesitation came back.

I took it to Autozone tonight, and they pulled a P0101 code. MAF sensor? Mine looks pretty dark and dirty. Any suggestions.
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that is the sensor that senses the incoming air. if it's dirty it's needs cleaning bad. the computer is unable to sense the actual air coming in as it's covered in dirt, so it's sensing less air, telling computer to cut fuel to compensate. there's a spray cleaner just for this sensor to clean it. once clean, should be good to go.
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by maxxman04
that is the sensor that senses the incoming air. if it's dirty it's needs cleaning bad. the computer is unable to sense the actual air coming in as it's covered in dirt, so it's sensing less air, telling computer to cut fuel to compensate. there's a spray cleaner just for this sensor to clean it. once clean, should be good to go.
So it HAS to be strictly for MAF sensors? not Carb cleaner, or alcohol? I've read many different sites with a LOT of conflicting information. Might have to get some of it tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to push the gas and the engine not have to think about going, but just go and go smoothly!
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should use MAF sensor cleaner, be careful not to touch the wire.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM
CF Active Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that you can simply unplug the MAF and the computer will "learn" to go without it? I have read that several places now. If that was the case, then why put them in in the first place?
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

the maf is there to monitor the amount of air coming in, and adjust the air/fuel mixture accordingly so it maintains the 14:1 ratio. taking the maf out of the picture will cause the computer to relearn alright, but not to a correct setting, which may lead to a lean or rich condition. takes just a few minutes to clean, which is usually the problem.
Old March 20th, 2010, 1:16 PM
CF Active Member

Well, I bought some MAF cleaner and just pulled the MAF and started spraying. All I can say is HOLY COW!! I didn't know the interior of the MAF was suppose to be shiny metal!! After the first squirt, black stuff just started dripping off. After a few more shots, I saw nice clean metal! It's air drying now and I'm gonna put it back on before our 50 mile trip in about 20 minutes to see if it runs any better. I'll let ya know.
Old March 20th, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Well, it ran good for about 5 minutes without a SES light, and then the light came back on and performance started stumbling again from take off.

Stopped back by Autozone and now I have the 0101 code, 0171 code, and 0174 codes.
I was praying that the dirty MAF was the problem.
Old March 21st, 2010, 4:30 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, drove it to church this morning (about 10 miles) and the SES light was on and running crappy again. We left church to go to a birthday party and back (80 miles total) and the SES light never came on and it ran perfect.

My question now is after cleaning the MAF, would the computer have to "re-learn" that the MAF is operational? I did disconnect the + cable for about 30 minutes while I cleaned the MAF and re-installed it.
Old March 21st, 2010, 5:37 PM
CF Veteran

i have heard that it may need to relearn, especially if codes weren't cleared by scan tool. i've heard that disconnecting battery doesn't actually clear the code, but it will clear itself after being started a number of times and driven.

Quick Reply: Now have P0101 code