Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Fuel Gauge not working correctly

Old March 24th, 2010, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge not working correctly

I have an 01 1500 HD. The fuel gauge goes to empty all the time. It doesn't matter how full the tank is, whether it's cold or hot, whether you just start it up from sitting or it is just started up after driving awhile, or whether you just filled it up or not. Sometimes it never comes back up to the true level, and the truck has to be turned off and turned back on to get it right. There have been a couple of times where the ABS and Brake lights have come on too when the fuel gauge wasn't working, and when the truck is turned off and turned back on even while driving, everything goes back to normal. Is this the sending unit? Or perhaps the dash? Or maybe something else for that matter? Thanks guys.
Old March 24th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

try unplugging the battery for a little while and see if it resets it.
Old March 24th, 2010, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gauge not working properly.

Hello,

More than likely the sending unit is bad, if so you will have to remove gas tank to get to it. The sending unit is attached to the fuel pump inside of the gas tank. Not a hard job, just time consuming.

Samlawrence4
2005 Silverado 1500 4x4

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
CF Active Member

id still suggest disconnecting the battery first to see if it fixes the problem before removing the tank and buying and getting a sending unit and so on.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM
CF Junior Member

I read that high ethanol levels in the gas corrode the sending unit and cause faulty readings and I read that filling the tank with the engine is running can cause this so maybe disconnecting the battery to reset the ECM first but if you want to replace the sending unit I tried an unusually method on a Dakota to get to the tank, I removed the bed and got right to the top of the tank and was done is 30-45 minutes. I disconnected the light harnesses and used a impact to remove 4-6 bed bolts and with the help of another slide the bed back on a some pallets. If the access point for the sending unit is on top of the tank then this might be a easier method to get to the sending unit.
Old March 26th, 2010, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

this is creepy,,,,,,my truck has this exact issue. i know the sending unit is bad, i just havent fixed it yet.
i cant figure out the abs and emergency brake light problem though.

might just have to hook it up to a computer.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

ar has the same problem except mine stays on Full, not empty. My dad has checked my fuel level sensor but everyone is telling us all these other things and its so expensive, yet places want to charge $80 just to look at it.