Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

automatic floor shifter wont engage any gears

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic floor shifter wont engage any gears

99 cavalier, automatic floor shift................. engine runs fine, but shift lever (one day out of the blue), when put into rev, dr, etc.....wont engage any gears to move car.

Seems like shifter has come loose from something in auto trans. Is there a cable or clip etc??? that just needs to be put back on or replaced, or something worn out?

Any ideas where I can find step by step procedure to fix, or is this one I have to take to trans shop? thanks
Old March 27th, 2010, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default 99 cav convertible, shift cable broken.

Found out shift cable is broken.....any advice on where to find repair info? I'm helping out an old guy who doesnt hear very well.

1- how to get console apart?.......got it half way, but other half seems stuck together......

2----do I need to take out floor shift lever?
3- will shaft cable pull thru firewall OK?.......
4-is there any adjustment for new cable, or just hook up each end....

thanks for any help
Old April 5th, 2010, 4:09 AM
CF Beginner

Can't really help with the console issue, they bolt them things in there every which way. You may have to remove the shifter assembly to get to the cable, but that is just a matter of fours bolts and the whole setup lifts right out. The cable should be put through the firewall/floorboard with a rubber grommet, the new cable may have this grommet with it, and it should be easily removed. There will be some kind of bracket on the transmission to hold the cable in place then it will be connected to the shift lever. The cable can usually be "popped" off the shift lever with a straight blade screwdriver or small pry bar, but it may have a small bolt or nut holding it. As far as adjustment goes make sure the shifter is bolted back down and in the park position, as well as the shift lever on the transmission. Now hook the cable up on both ends, one end will probably have a adjuster so you can shorten/lengthen the cable slightly to make it fit correctly. This is a general overview of a shift cable installation but they are all basically installed the same way.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default got one end of cable off

thanks for info.........got bolts off for shifting hardware mounting bracket, and pryed off shift cable end. Havent got new cable yet. Dealer said its $70, another dealer $60.

1- which way do you pull out the cable housing, I assume you pull it out from the engine side, after unscrewing the adjusting nut?......and snake back in, reverse order??

2-I assume cable will easily pull thru fire wall toward engine, ? Do I have to take old grommett out, or can I just leave it in firewall if it looks OK?

3-I assume the adjusting nut is on the end that looks like it treads on from the console 'end' of the cable? Does that thread on seperate after you install new cable?

4- Both ends of cable look like they have adjusting nuts, thats why I was wondering from which side and how hard it would be to snake thru firewall?

thanks again
Old April 8th, 2010, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

I am not 100% positive but I believe the new cable will have the grommet on it already. I believe the easiest way to pull it out is pulling it towards the transmission, you might have to take the grommet out to get it through. I have never actually replaced a shifter cable on a 99 cavalier, so I do not know the particulars of its removal. This is actually a part that very seldom ever needs replaced, in my experience and opinion.