Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Grease Fittings (zerks)

Old March 28th, 2010, 8:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grease Fittings (zerks)

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 with 76,000+ miles on it, and plan to do an oil & filter change this afternoon. While I am under there, I figure it might be a good idea to lube the chassis. I'm going to replace the air filter as well - which appears to be rather easy to do.

How many grease fittings are there? My truck is a two-wheel-drive LS model with the 5.3L V8.

I've changed oil in various cars over the past twenty five years, but have never done it yet on my Chevy truck. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

On Tuesday, I am having a professional mechanic flush out the coolant & transmission fluid, install a new serpentine belt and perform a complete fuel injection service. Oh, FYI, they use BG products (excellent stuff). I figure it is a good idea to get all of this done, since I purchased the truck used and have no previous service records - except for a few things that showed up on the Carfax report.

There goes part of my tax refund - LOL!
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grease Fittings (zerks)

Should have 3 on each side. Upper and lower balljoints and outer tie-rod.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Thanks!

Any on the steering column or the driveshaft?
Old March 29th, 2010, 2:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am under your model truck daily. doing those kinds of things. if GM gave you greasable joints, and you don't have a rack and pinion steering system, you will have upper,lower balljoints, inner, outer tie rod, pitman to centerlink, idler to centerlink, possibly a fitting in your u-joints on drive shaft. if you have the truck with no grease fittings, then you don't have any. If you have rack and pinion, you will have outer tie rods and maybe upper and lower ball joints. drain plug is 15mm, filter (fram part number) is most likely ph 3506. 6 qts. of high lubricity oiling compounding material. and uh... if you can change oil, you can change a belt on your truck. extremely easy. hehe, yah, i get to work on your model a lot. and if I missed anything its due to the frames are so similiar I think its the truck... but yea hope it helps
Old March 29th, 2010, 1:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Yep, thanks again!

I changed the oil & filter yesterday afternoon, and also installed a new Fram engine air filter. I found that my grease gun was operable, but the cartridge was no good (sat too long?); so the fittings/zerks will have to wait for another day.

The filter is adjacent to the oil pan - and is probably one of the easiest ones ever to reach & grip. Additionally, it pulls straight down - so no oil goes all over everything else. {I own a 2002 Nissan Sentra and the oil filter is mounted horizontally just above the exhaust pipe. When you remove it, a bunch of oil flows down on the pipe so it smells like burnt popcorn for the first three days of driving after an oil change.}

I got a five-quart jug of Quaker State 5w30 at Wally World for ten bucks, plus a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and a Fram filter. I'll run this oil & filter for about 3,000 miles and will then switch over to Mobil-1 synthetic (when it wll be on sale at Costco).

It may be my imagination, but vehicles run better after a fresh oil change and a new coat of wax.