Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

04 Tahoe Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Tahoe Steering Problem

My 04 has begun to have steering problems.... while driving at normal speeds everything seems to work fine. When I come to a stop, or slow down to pull in the driveway or parking space it is if I've lost all power steering. While sitiing idling, I can turn the wheel to the left just fine, turning to the right does not work....

again all power is lost mainly turning left at low speeds or idle.

1. Pump?
2. Rack?
3. gear box?

any takers?

Thanks, btw, newbie here....
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 04 Tahoe Steering Problem

I found a TSB (01897) that describes the problem.... any one have access to the TSBs? I would appreciate it....
Old October 19th, 2006, 1:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not a good number, but here is what I found that may help:

Document ID# 1851917
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Manuevers - keywords bind booster hard hydraulic noise #PIT3386D - (07/31/2006)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2000-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2000-2006 GMC Yukon Models

2003-2007 Hummer H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being updated to add fix information and models. Please discard PIT3386C.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist when stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Please follow normal diagnostics in SI for this condition. If the vehicle passes the Power Steering Pressure Test Procedure in SI this may be a normal condition. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. This concern can be aggravated by worn tires, low tire air pressure, low power steering pump pressures, and tires larger than stock size. In some cases, where the power steering pump pressures are at the low end of the specification, replacing the power steering flow control valve with P/N 26095470 may improve the concern. On 1500 models with the 670 gear please following Bulletin 05-02-32-008A, which may increase customer satisfaction.

No further repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle. Any customer concerns should be referred to the Area Vehicle Manager (AVM) and a Field Product Report should be submitted by following bulletin 02-00-89-002D. When submitting the Field Product Report please advise if the vehicle is equipped with anything other than the stock wheel and tire size, example GM SPO 20 inch Wheels and Tires.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1851917
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

thanks, this gives me a place to start....

what is odd is that just idling, without my foot on the brake, there is no power assist while turning right. So a portion of the TSB that basically says "hard steering" is normal while brakes are applied while steering does not apply here.

How is the power steering pressure checked?

I don't know the exact function of the steering flow control valve, but is it possible that it is only working one way causing the right turn issue?
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

99% chance that the flow control valve is your culprit here.
Old October 19th, 2006, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again.... I'll give the control valve a shot. I work on most of my own stuff but the 04 is way different in many ways compared to my previous 95 Tahoe.... or my current 94 ext cab Z-71. Since I drive em for a couple of hundred k miles, I just purchased GM shop repair manual from Helm.... But if anybody can share the R&R of the control valve, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys I know this thread is old but I'm having same issues. I replaced the steering position sensor and steering is still bad, though not as hard. two people have told me to replace the power steering hoses as the ones chevy makes are junk. they swell up with fluid and collapse the center. or that there is a plastic insert that could come off and plug the hose. sounds good I am going to try today.
Old June 16th, 2021, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Same old problems? Solution

Originally Posted by polarisdude
ok guys I know this thread is old but I'm having same issues. I replaced the steering position sensor and steering is still bad, though not as hard. two people have told me to replace the power steering hoses as the ones chevy makes are junk. they swell up with fluid and collapse the center. or that there is a plastic insert that could come off and plug the hose. sounds good I am going to try today.

Same old problems? I just solved this one by removing old fluid and filling with 12 oz. Lucas Power Steering stop leak and topping off with synthetic power steering fluid. Works like new.
Old June 19th, 2021, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scot
My 04 has begun to have steering problems.... while driving at normal speeds everything seems to work fine. When I come to a stop, or slow down to pull in the driveway or parking space it is if I've lost all power steering. While sitiing idling, I can turn the wheel to the left just fine, turning to the right does not work....

again all power is lost mainly turning left at low speeds or idle.

1. Pump?
2. Rack?
3. gear box?

any takers?

Thanks, btw, newbie here....
It is the high pressure hose from the pump to the gear box. Had the same thing, did the gear box twice, pump once, then finally I was talking to my brother in law and he said it was probably the high pressure hose. He said they get porus inside and swell up but when you rev up the engine it forces enough fluid through to make it easy again. I changed mine and fixed the problem. It's been about 5-6 years since I did this and it's acting up a little again. Aftermarket parts are just not as good as original. It's probably not available with GM anymore though. Aftermarket will last a while though, and we put in a lot of miles. So I'm happy. I have 315k on my 2000 now and probably did it around 220k 5-6 years ago. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
tech2 (June 19th, 2021)
Old June 19th, 2021, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

If she has any more trouble, I'll look at replacing that high pressure hose. THANKS! don

Quick Reply: 04 Tahoe Steering Problem