Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Oil filter Adapter is Leaking

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil filter Adapter is Leaking

ok just last week i droped my oil pan to stop it from leaking near the back of the pan. i got it back up the other day and i put oil in the engine and when i went to start it i noticed that my oil filter adapter is leaking. its leaking on the top side of the adapter that meets the block.

I have a 1989 Chevy Silverado C2500 350 5.7L

when i droped the oil pan i droped the oil filter adapter and noticed there was a gasket there so i replaced it with a new gasket. it looked like it was a paper one so im not sure if that is the problem or not but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old April 14th, 2010, 3:22 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add a little silicon to the gasket and you should be good, make sure the surfaces are clean.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks for the info i put some RTV on it ill post later if it worked or not.
Old July 10th, 2012, 2:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

i replaced oil filter adapter gasket , a few days ago but it dtarted leaking again
Old July 10th, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Question

Originally Posted by victoria galindo
i replaced oil filter adapter gasket , a few days ago but it started leaking again
NAPA sells a kit for all the O-rings & gaskets that are associated with the oil filter adapter. Assuming you are talking about the adapter that provides the outlets for the oil cooler. there is a large, thick O-ring that goes up inside that adapter.
Currently, I am having issues with the oil filter gasket blowing out. Does anyone know what is causing this? After each replacement, I can run the truck as long as I want but after it cools and I run it the second time, the oil filter seal starts leaking and I have an oil cooler too. I have a high flow oil pump in a remanufactured block I purchased from JEGS. What could be the problem? Someone said a valve could be sticking? What does that mean. Are they talking about a intake or exhaust valve? I have rebuilt steel heads on the engine as well. it has about 1000 miles on it now. Please offer some suggestions!