Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2007 Cobalt electrical issue-Help!

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Cobalt electrical issue-Help!

Hi everyone. I'm new to forums and this is my first post. Last week I bought my fiance' a 2007 Cobalt LS 2 door 5 speed with 43k miles. It is a pretty basic model which has no power window/locks. The second day we had it while I was out, I noticed that the drivers door speaker stopped working. I thought that for some reason that speaker just died. As I approched a stop light I put on the turn signal. The light in the dash flashed accordingly as did the outside indicators, but the little "tick tock" or "ding" type noise that tells you your blinker is on also had stopped working.

Later that evening while on a seperate trip, the drivers speaker started playing again AND the turn signal sound came back to life. They are somehow definately related as the same problem happens basically on a daily basis now. If one is out, them they both are out...if one is working then they both are working. I've looked thru the book at the fuse box and under hood fuses but don't really see where they would run off the same fuse, etc. I'm at a loss as the rear drivers or other front speaker never goes out. Thinking possibly a ground issue somewhere (???) but have no idea even where to begin to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The dealership I bought it from was no help as they were only willing to honor the power train warranty, and wouldn't even take a look at it without charging me. Thanks in advance!-Matt
Old April 19th, 2010, 7:20 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the turn signal sound come through that speaker.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You've been turned away by the dealership correct? I would suggest that you speak with our Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. They will be able to speak with the dealership you are working with to see if they can't cover you to get the problem fixed. I hope that helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Customer assistance was really no help. They contacted the dealership, but the dealership was unwilling to waive the diagnostic fees, so I guess I'm back at square one
Old April 22nd, 2010, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi 07cobalt,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I would recommend you level the playing field by assuring your battery connections and grounds are solid first. It's inexpensive, and could save you some time.

Replace the battery terminal bolts. Verify the battery cables are clean and dry, and not starting to corrode. Hows the engine -to- firewall ground strap? A #4guage negative cable from any bolt on the engine to any clean ground on the firewall will act as an acceptable ground strap if your ground strap is getting dirty, and hard to reach. When the grounds and negative wire start to lose clean contact, they can sometimes selectively deny power to certain individual circuits. Needless to say, it will only get worse with time.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Cobalt Airbag Light

Just wondering if anyone knows of why my airbag light might be going on & off? I am affraid to go to a dealer as being a girl they have always tried to screw me over...I'm a single mom going to school with no money, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I want to ignore it but my gut is saying not to ignore it...HELP!!!
Old May 4th, 2010, 8:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Allyson, I would just like to direct message you to look into your issue a little further if I may. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old April 28th, 2011, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 cobalt

I am having the same problem as allyson with my airbag. The light will come on when I start the car and will stay on while driving, but the next time the car is started the light does not come back on. It has come on a total of 3 times in a week. please help!!
Old April 29th, 2011, 9:14 AM
Official GM Rep

Kasey, have you had your vehicle into your dealership yet for this issue? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2011, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

No I have not taken it to the dealer. I am a single mom with no money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Cobalt electrical issue-Help!