Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How To Bypass Vats

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Bypass Vats

Not sure why, but everybody around seem to keep calling "VATS Bypass" a simple resistor to install under your steering column or on the TDM's connector. But the problem with that is it will only bypass the key and the lock cylinder, while the entire core of the security system (the TDM or Theft Deterrent Module or anti-theft module) still remains in the loop!
That resistor trick was born just to add a remote starter or fix a broken wire, but today it makes little sense. Today is the TDM that is causing tons of problems around! It dies systematically with the age of the car - even way before her 10th birthday.
I know the solution to this problem lets see ho many members know about this

Last edited by sara145; April 19th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 5:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi sara145,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say when you get a remote start/alarm installed, not only do you get new key fobs, but they also upgrade your current Vehicle Anti- Theft System and Theft Deterrent Module with new circuitry...
Old April 20th, 2010, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

well... they upgrade by *adding* pieces to the system, but the TDM would stay there untouched and still in the loop. So you'd still be walking

On top of it buying an alarm system is maybe something you don't really mean to do, especially after already being hit by the factory immobilizer problems
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

I have been searching for an answer to this, because I recently got a 96 Lumina from a family friend, whose mechanic soldered in the spare key instead of a new resistor. That fix worked for about a month, but now is not working. I assume that some of the wiring/solder came loose, so I am planning on checking all of the connections and replacing the key with a new resistor, but I would like to bypass the TDM as well. I found this site:http://newrockies.ca/the-problem-and-the-solution/ . Might be out of my league though, so something simpler might be nice.