Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Camshaft and lifters bad - Got questions

Old April 30th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft and lifters bad - Got questions

Dealer is tearing down my motor to determine knock/tick sound. They just called and said that at least the cam and lifters need replaced. They haven't decided how to fix it yet.

My question...anything I should worry about such as other items that might have failed as a result of this? I'm under warranty for another few weeks yet and want to make sure this is fixed right. Looking for questions I should be asking the tech and mgr.

This kind of thing makes me wonder what else may go wrong. I know they will warranty the cam and lifters for 12 months/12,000 miles, but my motor has still been torn down.

Can I push for a motor replacement?
Old April 30th, 2010, 2:28 PM
CF Active Member

if it was me I would tell them brand new motor from gm in a crate. what was the reason the motor went?
Old April 30th, 2010, 2:39 PM
CF Active Member

The motor didn't actually go. Just sounds like crap to me and my warranty is almost up. I took it in again because it has a constant consistant knock/tick no matter what temp. It would actually sound worse after driving down the highway to 30 minutes. It started as a lighter sounding tick last summer and it's a different sound than the common piston slap sound.
Old April 30th, 2010, 5:47 PM
CF Active Member

Stopped by dealer to ask more questions. Ast mgr doesn't think the louder knock is due to the cam and lifters. Says they need replaced, but was only causing a lighter tick. Said when the were dropping cylinders doing ititial analysis the knock got more profound. Whatever that means.

So...he has the tech tearing down the rest of the motor to check out crank shaft and such. My poor motor.

I told them now that they are taking this much apart I'd like to see a new 5.3 crate motor dropped in. I don't know that I'll ever be comfortable with it if they decide to replace a few parts and put it back together. Guess I'll see what Monday brings.
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will not matter what you tell them or want. They will only do what GM will pay for. There is a protocol they must follow. If it is done correctly there is nothing to worry about. Now if the crank or bearings and cam shaft are bad along with the lifters they may actually replace the engine.
Old May 1st, 2010, 6:31 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with MDTAHOE, if they need to do that much work it will be cheaper for them to replace it.
Old May 1st, 2010, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Cam replacement alone runs almost 9 warranty hours. Now that they are tearing the rest the way down I have no idea how many hours are in a complete tear down and rebuild, but that labor time is gonna add up quick.
Old May 1st, 2010, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey there, tsduke.

It's been my sad experience that anything which breaks down in the warranty period will also break down in the next time interval after the warranty has expired. If it's replaced with more of the same OEM equipment with which it exited the factory. Unless some change is made to insure that there is a change in quality or design to insure a better run.

So you think you're all set when they replace that defective item at 18 months or 24K miles, because the repair under warranty was free.

Then at 36 months, or 48K miles, after it's out of warranty, it will generally break (you) down again.

As an example, my CD player went bad under warranty. I immediately started shopping for a new sound system, because, sure enough, one year after warranty, the OEM replacement went bad again.

Last edited by therewolf; May 1st, 2010 at 3:48 PM.
Old May 1st, 2010, 4:24 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hey there, tsduke.

It's been my sad experience that anything which breaks down in the warranty period will also break down in the next time interval after the warranty has expired. If it's replaced with more of the same OEM equipment with which it exited the factory. Unless some change is made to insure that there is a change in quality or design to insure a better run.

So you think you're all set when they replace that defective item at 18 months or 24K miles, because the repair under warranty was free.

Then at 36 months, or 48K miles, after it's out of warranty, it will generally break (you) down again.

As an example, my CD player went bad under warranty. I immediately started shopping for a new sound system, because, sure enough, one year after warranty, the OEM replacement went bad again.
I hope these are rare cases.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 1:32 PM
CF Active Member

There is block damage so a new crate motor is being installed.

Anyone know for sure what is or isn't on the new motor? I'm thinking alternator and stuff like that comes off my old one. I don't know about water pump, oil pump, intake manifold, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft and lifters bad - Got questions