Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2002 monte carlo security problem

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 monte carlo security problem

ive just started on this site ,i have a security problem with my car, i dont use the car alot, i went to start it 2 weeks ago and no start,the security light blinks on and off,ive tried all the internet stuff but nothing the motor will turn over when i jump the starter but no start,also the battery seems weak even though i have charged it ,maybe because ist hasnt been running, iut is a 3400 has144,000 on it,i need someone to walk me through a fix im currently out of work,like alot of us,i dont have the extra cash to replace things that dont need to be replaced,also the ignition was replaced 2 years ago, i have a vast arry of tool multi meters,test light and so on if any of you guys know the correct fix it would help alot , i cant look for work without the car ,thanks rags
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:31 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your security system does not pass through the starter. In earlier years it did disable the starter. The newer system disables the fuel. If you had a security system issue the car would start and stall instantly a few times then is would only crank. You can assume since jumping the starter it cranks then there must not be voltage on the little wire at the starter when turning the key. It would be better to check though to see if any amount is there. The computer, the ignition switch or the crank relay may have quit. The easiest thing to do would is located the crank relay and switch it with another relay in the box if there is one the same. Also check all the fuses.
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The is a copy of how your system works from the factory manual.

The Passlock System is provided in order to prevent vehicle theft if the ignition lock cylinder is forced to rotate or the ignition switch is operated while separated from the ignition lock cylinder case. If starting is attempted without authorization from the Passlock System, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will disable the fuel injectors causing the engine to stall immediately after starting.

The components of the Passlock System are as follows:

The ignition lock cylinder and key
The ignition lock cylinder case (including the Passlock Sensor)
The ignition switch
The Body Control Module (BCM)
The security indicator (on the instrument cluster)
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Old July 8th, 2010, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

I have had this problem with my 01 Monte SS. I had to have the ignition lock cylinder case (including the Passlock Sensor) replaced and the dealership had to reprogram it to my key.
My symptoms were: i turned the key and nothing, the security light was on. I turned the key a few more times and then the car would start.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 Monte Carlo-help me bypass the security system

Is there a free fix for removing the security system? My car will not start. The 10 min thing works off and on. When the car runs, it runs great. I let it sit overnight and it started but didnt sound good. I just bought the car and I need it to get to work.
Old May 21st, 2012, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

If you have to keep reapplying the security relearn (11 min on/30 seconds off X3) to start the vehicle you may have a worn ignition switch or a malfunctioning BCM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

I think there is a little confusion....I drove one of these. If the wrong key is used, it will NOT crank...this is controlled by the BCM.
If you manage to bypass the key, like hot wiring it, the fuel will shut off after a few seconds.

That said, the lock cylinder was a common problem with these cars.
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Ignition Lock Cylinder - Standard Motor Products, OES Genuine - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

These do not come with a key....you can replace the tumblers to match your existing key. If this is done properly, it should actually start without reprogramming the BCM as the cylinder just reads the resistance in the key. If a new key is used, it MUST be reprogrammed.
Old April 8th, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Hey folks, I'm new here, so bear with me...

I have an '01 Impala, 3.4 liter, 156,000 miles that is doing exactly the same thing as rags' 2002 Monte Carlo...

Rags said:

"ive just started on this site ,i have a security problem with my car, i dont use the car alot, i went to start it 2 weeks ago and no start,the security light blinks on and off,ive tried all the internet stuff but nothing the motor will turn over when i jump the starter but no start,also the battery seems weak even though i have charged it ,maybe because ist hasnt been running, iut is a 3400 has144,000 on it,i need someone to walk me through a fix im currently out of work,like alot of us,i dont have the extra cash to replace things that dont need to be replaced,also the ignition was replaced 2 years ago, i have a vast arry of tool multi meters,test light and so on if any of you guys know the correct fix it would help alot , i cant look for work without the car ,thanks rags"

MDTAHOE, you mentioned that the security for his '02 Monte doesn't pass through or affect the starter and that in prior years, this wasn't the case. What about in '01 in the Impala? I can jump the starter to a positive battery connection, and the car will start/run for about two seconds. Fuel isn't being shut off because it will re-start (with the jumper, NOT with the key) and I when the car shuts off, it sounds like the car would sound if I floored the accellerator as I turn the key off. Anyway, it's a pretty distinctive sound... like the comp is trying to keep the car running with air/fuel, but security steps in and shuts down the ignition.
When I do the passlock re-learn procedure, the security light flashes twice in a rotation with the battery telltale for the first cycle, and the next three, five, or ten cycles do not turn off the security light. Also, after I've had enough of working on it for one day, when I put the key in the next day, the security sequence starts over again. Security flashes twice during the first cycle, then in subesequent cycles it is in rotation with the battery telltale. I never get any sound at all from the starter when I'm trying to use the key. No clicks, no nothing.

I apologize for the length of this, but I hope the details can help point me in a direction that will fix the car.

Thanks in Advance!
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default security issue 02 LS Monte Carlo

hi everyone my name is David I'm a little new to this so anyways I appreciate any and all help advice and guidance of the situation I've been observing and reading all this going on with the passlock to situation how to bypass how to replace the main causes I don't think that's my problem I took a resistor aftermarket resistor out from under my dash I can tell what it was therefore come to find out if it to the ignition wire the yellow starter wire rather so I call the dealership and ask them if I just took the back of the way was it would make any difference he said no shouldn't.so I did the car ran fine perfect even better than before about 2 weeks stopped at the gas station the other day gassed up when to turn the car on nothing no start no turn over no crank nothing I get a flashing security light myother lights all seem to be in working order they do seem to be in working order if I could of communication from the BCM to the crank or the starter or the ECU I'm pretty sure it's a BCM or ecu issue but I'm wondering if I reinstall that relay it would make a difference and the way they have it wired is so complicated I can't tell cut two different jumper wires in it the go nowhere pretty much .and one ground wire it doesn't have keyless entry thing other than the factory fob so I don't understand why I would have been in there to begin with but obviously had something to do with the security system I tried to relearn process and apparently I'm not doing it right or whatever but I'm getting nothing but a security light in a flash for a little bit and then we'll go just solid will somebody please help me before I got to go spend a lot of money at a dealership I'd like to try to isolate the problem at least thank you and sorry it took so long to write thisPS sometimes I don't even get a security light I get a service track light and service engine soon light but the problem remains the same no crank from starter

Last edited by david02; October 23rd, 2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: left out other identifying clues